Survey123 "Send Error Code 400" for two different surveys

03-30-2018 04:38 PM
LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

We're testing two new surveys (Bacteria Batch v4 and Field Parameters) and I've had no problems sending test data this week, so today I had a coworker join in to provide feedback on functionality of the forms.  Something happened this afternoon and he got a "SEND ERROR This survey was not able to be send due to the following error: Code 400" while using Bacteria Batch v4. The survey was stuck in the outbox and could be edited, just not sent. When you click the send button, "getting service information/sending data" starts spinning, but then it dies. Then, later in the afternoon, the same thing happened when he tested the Field Parameters survey! 

Not sure if this is part of the problem, but my coworker was logged in with a "shared" AGOL login that we want all field techs to use when entering data in the field.  Three ipads are logged in with the shared login.  I am logged in as myself on my ipad. 

As a quick fix, I created a new survey from Bacteria Batch v4 and renamed it Bacteria Batch v5. Downloaded v5 and the "shared" login was able to successfully submit it on all three ipads. But that login still cannot submit the first two, and multiple Bacteria Batch v4 and Field Parameters surveys are hung up in the outboxes. I'm having no problems submitting anything with my personal login on my ipad.

There's no real data yet (luckily) but I would like to understand what is going on here in case it happens again. I'm using Survey123 Connect. 

Please help, thanks!

3 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lynn,

Please answer the questions if you are able...

1. Can you check to see if the results of the Bacteria Batch v4 surveys that are stuck in the 'outbox' folder are present in the feature service? 

2. Are the applied Feature Layer Settings different between Bacteria Batch v4 and Bacteria Batch v5 ?

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS (particularly no.6 in the Allow other to edit section)

3. Do the surveys stuck in the outbox contain attachments?

Thank you,

Brandon

0 Kudos
LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the speedy reply!  Regarding my stuck surveys for both Bacteria Batch v4 and Field Parameters:

1) none are present in the feature services

2) the feature layer settings are slightly different, here's a screenshot for all three:

feature layer hosted setting screenshot

3) Bacteria Batch v4 does not have attachments. Field Parameters does have the option to take photos and one of the stuck surveys has no attachments but others might (two of the ipads went into the field before I arrived this am, I can check later today).

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lynn,

Apologies on the delayed response.

I believe the issue that you are encountering is related to the difference in permissions that you have set for each of the feature layers participating in your survey's.  As we can see from the provided screenshots, Bacteria Batch v5 has the capability to 'add, update, and delete features', while the 2 surveys encountering issues have 'update attributes only'.

The reason that you did not have issues submitting during your testing with 'Bacteria Batch v4' and 'Field Parameters' is likely related to the fact that you were the creator of the survey, and also an administrator within your AGOL Organization (therefore unrestricted by the editing settings applied to the feature layer).

After you created a copy of Bacteria Batch v4, you applied different editing settings to the layer  'add, update, and delete features', which therefore allowed for the 'shared' user to submit without issue.

As the other 2, 'Bacteria Batch v4' and 'Field Parameters' still have limited editing privileges applied to their feature layers, it will still be impossible for the 'shared' user to submit surveys to them, unless attempting to do so as a named user with administrative privileges within the same AGOL Organization.

In case you did not use the 'Collaborate' method for sharing your survey's, please refer to the following help documentation for best practices when sharing/editing surveys...

Share survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Please let me know if you have any questions related to this information.

Brandon