How do I join all the layers on two web maps in ArcGIS Online?

03-29-2018 11:28 AM
PeteMcGill
New Contributor II

I have several county maps.  Each map has 19 layers of data plus a few regions.  The 19 data layers are arranged in the same order and include the same fields on each of the maps.  The data in these layers is restricted to the county.  I'd like to be able to combine maps covering adjacent counties into a single map.  I could do this in ArcGIS Online by saving each layer from one map and then adding all the layers to the other map.  This would require roughly 40 steps.  (The raw data is still handy, but each layer has several adjustments to the symbology so 40 steps per join would be faster than recreating the maps from scratch if the final map is to have less than 5 or 6 counties.)  Is there a better way?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

How are you adding the data to the map? Drag and drop or publishing as a hosted feature service?

What format is the data in? Shapefiles?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
PeteMcGill
New Contributor II

The map has 9 data layers that come from CSV files added directly to the map, and 10 data layers that are hosted feature layers.  The CSV files are for point sites located by address.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Pete,

You can use spatial analysis tools like join features.

Perform analysis—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Is this data all using the same data schema? Is all of the data the same geometry like points or polygons? If so, consider using the append tool to add additional records to existing hosted feature layers.

What’s new with hosted feature layers: Getting to know Append Part 1 (December 2017) | ArcGIS Blog 

What’s new with hosted feature layers: Getting to know Append, Part 2 | ArcGIS Blog 

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
PeteMcGill
New Contributor II

Kelly,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's helpful for the CSV-based layers but overall the workflow still seems cumbersome.

For layers from CSV files:

Initial map set up:  

Add CSV to map

Format layer

Save layer

Publish layer

Add published layer

To join two maps

Append CSV file

For layers from ESRI BAO

Initial map set up:

Share to ArcGIS