Will a suitability model, or a version of it, allow me to click on different areas of the map and get a score based off weighted criteria?

03-29-2018 08:53 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was tasked with creating a suitability model, which I've never done before, and given several different weights for several different datasets.   They want to be able to click on any area of the map and get a score based on the weighted criteria.   All that being said, I might be barking up the wrong tree.   I'm only assuming it's a suitability model.   They decided early on to call it a logic model, which to me, makes no sense.  

Just looking for a little direction.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It might be interesting to read this topic: Using the conceptual model to create a suitability map—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

A more reduced answer to your question is: yes, you can create a suitability map using a Weighted Overlay—Help | ArcGIS Desktop the result will be a value for each pixel indicating the suitability.

Also have a look at the different possibilities: Understanding overlay analysis—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

In case you want to go a step further you could create your own suitability model and publish it and allow your user to define the influence of each layer on the output result in a web application: GeoPlanner’s Suitability Modeler is now part of Web AppBuilder | ArcGIS Blog  and Suitability Modeler widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Typically, a suitability map is created as an end product of a logical process based on several things one is trying to balance.  The weighting controls how important each factor is. 

To get started, check out this link to get a better understanding of what goes into making a suitability layer:

Using the conceptual model to create a suitability map—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP