Pro 2.1.2 concurrent licenses not working

03-28-2018 03:43 AM
JarmoSireeni
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2 and concurrent use licenses in two license managers (10.6) in different servers. The problem is that the other license manager lets call it LM01 works just fine but the other LM02 does not work. If I have the LM02 configured it does not let me to change license level or to take some extensions into use. It does not show extensions that I have in the license manager. I can do all that with LM01. If I change the license manager from LM01 to LM02 it gives me an error: Error switching license manager! and Invalid host name.

The only thing I can think of that is different between those two license managers is that there are some licenses borrowed from the LM02.

Other ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 concurrent licenses are working fine from both license managers.

8 Replies
MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II

In past we've had some workstations not able to find a given license manager because of IPv4 and v6 issues, with v4 always working and v6 only for some machines. I didn't to get to the bottom of it. My hunch is a general network config issue and not specifically Esri's.

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Jarmo,

There are quite a few variables to rule out.  However, I would start with the ArcGIS Pro licenses on LM02.  Go to the Availability folder and verify there are ArcGIS Pro Advanced, Standard, and/or Basic (ArcGIS Pro) and opposed to Desktop Advanced, Standard or Basic (ArcMap).  Of course make sure there are licenses available.  I would also check the license manager debug log file to verify the listed licenses are good and available.  

If you verified the licenses are valid and available, move to the next step and make sure the client machine have access to the license manager.  If ArcMap is able to consume licenses from the same license manager, it is enough  to assume there is no connection issue.  

If you need someone to look over the license for any issue, I recommend contacting Technical Support.  Our staff can walk you through license verification and help you troubleshoot the issue if necessary.  

0 Kudos
JarmoSireeni
New Contributor II

Hi and thanks for your comments!

We have a trial license for Drone 2 Map on that license manager LM02. It seems that it has broken Pro licenses some how. Desktop licenses are working ok.

After activating the Drone2Map license on LM02 it has made chages to service.txt file. In the first row

"SERVER this_host ANY 27000" the word "ANY" has changed to servers MAC address.

When performing status inquiry in license manager it gives an error for ACT license.

If I change the first row in service.txt file to its original (ANY instead of MAC address). Then there is no error for ACT license. But an error for Drone2Map license.

And now Pro gets licenses ok and I can change license level and extensions.

It still has one problem. I have increased license number after the d2m activation. License manager shows the correct license number but Pro shows only those licenses prior to d2m activation. Should I deactivate all and active once again?

RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

We have had this issue as well for over a year now since testing Drone2Map -good to see a resolution. We had an entire round with ESRI support regarding this and finally gave up -since we had not yet deployed Pro to a wide audience.

ARCGIS: UP v11.14.1
Feature usage info:

Users of ACT:  (Error: 1 licenses, unsupported by licensed server)

AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

What you described was a bug in LM 10.5.1 but should have been fixed in 10.6.  Provisioning files for Pro Named User license and Drone2Map requires a MAC Address.  During authorization, the wizard should update the ACT feature to match the new hostname (MAC Address as opposed to ANY).  This did not happen in LM 10.5.1 which cause Pro Concurrent license to fail.  I was thinking how you got into this situation.  It is possible you may have installed LM 10.5.1 and authorized the Drone2Map license.  Pro Concurrent license would have broken at this point.  Then you upgraded to LM 10.6 which would actually preserve your existing service.txt file.  The fix is easy enough.  Reauthorize the Drone2Map license.  It will update the ACT feature and existing Drone2Map feature.  Both licenses should work afterward.  

0 Kudos
JarmoSireeni
New Contributor II

Yes, that is how we have come to this point. LM10.5.1 with some Pro licenses > authorize d2m license > update to LM 10.6 > authorize some more Pro licenses.

We did not notice then that Pro licenses are broken. It actually lets you use Pro with the defined license level. But you cannot change license level or add some extensions in use.

I restored service.txt file to original state without d2m license and no MAC address. Then reauthorized d2m license. No change to situation, the problem still exists.

I even uninstalled lm and removed all files referring to flexnet and lm. Installed lm 10.6 and authorized some Pro licenses. All works ok. Then authorized d2m and then the problem comes.

So I guess that the bug is still there?!

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Jarmo Sireeni‌ 

My apologies.  You were correct.  We assumed the aforementioned fix address Pro Named User license as well as Drone2Map.  This is not the case.  Authorizing Drone2Map license should do the following:

1.  Update the SERVER entry to replace "ANY" to the Mac Address.

2.  Update the FEATURE ACT component to match the Mac Address.

3.  Add Drone2Map feature.

The authorization wizard did not complete the second process.  It used the existing FEATURE ACT entry.  This will be addressed in later release of the license manager.  

In the meantime, follow the steps below for a workaround:

1.  Stop the license manager.

2.  Start NotePad or other text editor as an Administrator.  Open existing file and browse to service.txt in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\LicenseManager\bin.

3.  Open your Drone2Map.lic file in another NotePad.  

4.  Replace the FEATURE ACT entry in service.txt with the one from Drone2Map.lic.  

5.  Save the change.

6.  Restart the license manager.  

Both Pro Concurrent Use and Drone2Map licenses should be valid afterward.  

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for bringing this up to our attention.  

JarmoSireeni
New Contributor II

Workaround solved the problem. Thanks!

0 Kudos