Collector vs gvSIG

03-28-2018 02:09 PM
KaraUtter
Occasional Contributor III
Has anyone used gvSIG Mobile for their field work? Aside from the obvious difference in cost, how does gvSIG mobile compare with Collector?

Our organization currently licenses ArcGIS for Workgroup and have implemented ArcGIS Online Maps with Collector for a few of our departments, however there is one department who is requesting to use gvSIG Mobile instead of Collector to save money. I am trying to get a feel for whether there is a true benefit in adding gvSIG desktop with spatialite to our network's computer.

My first thoughts are that it would not be worth the decreased efficiency in maintaining two layers and map layouts within two GIS'es and two Mobile Mapping Applications, but maybe there are some other benefits here that I don't understand because I have no experience with gvSIG. So far, I have been seeking mobile map applications that meet our needs in this efficient and streamlined process through our ArcGIS License and so have not felt the need to dive into Free and Open Source Software.

Of the many benefits I have found in Collector, these are the ones that stand out to me:
  • High resolution imagery capacity only limited by the size of device storage (ie side-loading is great!)
  • Seamless updates through Publishing features to ArcGIS Online, where the same data features are connected to multiple maps and apps throughout our organization, each one being customized to fit the purpose of the unique maps and apps
    • (ie, only have to publish updates one time even though not every map and app shows the same information from the same feature)
  • Ability to attach large amounts of non-standard sized images and documents
  • Ability to customize pop-ups and create domains for data entry in the map application
  • Ability to turn off and on layers by user while in the field to customize objects in map view

Any advice would be much appreciated!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KaraUtter
Occasional Contributor III

I did not receive any response from GeoNet Community groups, but did receive the following responses from GIS Community listserv emails a few people are interested in gvSIG and want to hear my results, and the following were actual comments towards gvSIG, itself:

• "I would be interested in your results.  I’ve shied away from gvSig because it is so hard to install.  I continually get Java errors.  Maybe mobile is better?"

•  "It’s not worth having the headache of two environments. The functionality isn’t as robust as Collector and their online side is not really what we consider up to par. You’ll spend more time moving and trying to sync the data than the cost for additional users."

• "Trying to get it back into a gdb or sde is a real pain especially with attachments. It can be scripted but we’ve had issues all around with it. Our last experience we had built custom tools on it and when the new build came out it broke everything. I can pretty much guarantee that you will spend more time than the cost over a year maintaining two silos especially when there are overlaps and other depts. want to see data that’s housed in another format. With our smaller clients who can get away with sharing logins, AGO is a no brainer when you consider connectivity, maintenance of data etc. We have also used the option of workforce, survey 123, operations dashboard, etc, to sell the idea of much expanded functionality."