AnsweredAssumed Answered

Publishing pretiled maps on ArcGISOnline

Question asked by Crittermap on Mar 27, 2018

I am familiar with this: 

Publish hosted tile layers from files—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

However, what if I want republish tiles that are not a TPK, and not a feature server, and not an image that I am going to cut into tiles using ArcGIS Desktop?

What if it is in some other format like Zip, .MBTiles, or loose tiles in folders on disk?

I'm willing to format it into the structure of your choice, but I am not sure I can fake a tpk or your proprietary compact cache format. 

What do I want? World hillshading. 

All I want is a hillshade layer that covers the world, cached to about zoom level 12, that will scale up to display beyond zoom 12, and will allow offline use.

I could just buy it, but . . .

I have a vendor that will give me a 12 level world hillshade for a fee. But it is not in tpk format. 

So why don't some of the existing layers on ArcGISOnline work?

These are the ones that almost work:

1. World Hillshade (multidirectional)

It is generated dynamically.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3cedfc19d7b941d89ee15b0e2f454070 

But also has a cached Tileserver. 

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1b243539f4514b6ba35e7d995890db1d 

But it does not allow export of tiles.

Making a deep copy of this  (to level 12) for my own organization would work. 

I would pay the 100 credits a month and allow export. 

But I don't know how to do that. 

ArcGIS Pro will allow me to make a TPK based on the dynamic layer. 

Downside: it would take about *two months* of me not doing much with my computer and hoping there is no power failure that will make me start over completely.

Perhaps there is a way to cache it on the server using the REST API, but I couldn't find anything like that. Only instructions I found were for feature servers.  

2. World Terrain base (for Export)

This allows for export. 

It's big disadvantage is that it is inconsistent in depth of coverage. Sometimes more than 12, sometimes less.

This wouldn't be a problem if it handled it gracefully, but it doesn't.

Instead of scaling up (preferred) or simply not displaying, it will display words "we don't have data available here". 

Worse, though, it ruins all the webmaps when I put it in. 

By ruin, I mean that once I use it as a basemap and save the webmap, the webmap will no longer allow zooming in greater than 1:72K, even though the other layers are perfectly capable. 

If it has any behavior like this on mobile or offline use, I do not want it. 

Outcomes