Census Tracts and Addresses

Jump to solution
03-27-2018 10:49 AM
StephenGrassia3
New Contributor II

I have a dataset of patient addresses. I want to combine the address with cesus tracts. how would I go about inputing how may addresses are in each census tract so I can symoblize that amount and not show the exact location of the patients?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stephen,

If you have ArcGIS Pro you can use the Summarize Within tool.  If you are using ArcGIS Desktop, you can accomplish this using the Spatial Join tool.  Before running the tool, create a new field in the patient address feature class called something like "COUNT".  Calculate the value of this to 1 for each row.  When executing the Spatial Join you can specify a merge rule to SUM.  Here is a very old help document that shows this:

ArcGIS Desktop Help 9.2 - Example of aggregating field values with Spatial Join 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stephen,

If you have ArcGIS Pro you can use the Summarize Within tool.  If you are using ArcGIS Desktop, you can accomplish this using the Spatial Join tool.  Before running the tool, create a new field in the patient address feature class called something like "COUNT".  Calculate the value of this to 1 for each row.  When executing the Spatial Join you can specify a merge rule to SUM.  Here is a very old help document that shows this:

ArcGIS Desktop Help 9.2 - Example of aggregating field values with Spatial Join 

StephenGrassia3
New Contributor II

It worked. Thank you so much

0 Kudos