AnsweredAssumed Answered

Map service:  field format/metadata - where is it?

Question asked by mcknightCOD on Mar 24, 2018

There is quite a bit of information/details stored in a map service once it is published from a MXD.  But a couple of things I think should be available I cannot find, and I have to wonder - am I missing something?

1).  Field formatting:  This can be set up in the MXD via the layer "Properties" menu under the "Fields" tab.  Things like date format, number of decimal places, etc.  I see the field alias show up in map service but nothing about the formatting.  I know I can set these via an InfoTemplate but that seems like doing work twice.  Is this information stored someplace else?

2).  MetaData:  As in metadata from a feature class, not for the map service itself.  I can see metadata in a layer via the "View Item Description" in the layer context menu in ArcMap but how do I get to it from the map service?  I have gotten a few blank looks from ESRI folks about this one so perhaps someone else can explain.  I want all the gory details from our feature class metadata that we actually took the time to fill out.

Thanks for the help.

Sean

Sean McKnight

Stormwater and GIS Services

Department of Public Works

City of Durham

Durham, North Carolina

Outcomes