attribute length and shape lenght are not the same

03-26-2018 10:09 AM
MatthiasWüthrich
New Contributor II

Hello

I have an attribute table which contains shape_length and attribute_length. The table was created by the Copy traversed source features tool. Attribute length is correct, but shape length is about 1.5 times bigger for the same attribute. If I measure any distance on the map, and compare it to measurements I did on Google maps, the distance is also 1.5 times as big as on Google maps. I guess that this will be a spatial reference issue. I transformed all my data into wgs_1984_web_mercator_auxiliary_sphere. I know that wgs84 isn`t very accurate, but a factor of 1.5 seems to be much more than simply inaccurate.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

not a feet versus meters thing then? But what are your actual units anyway?

0 Kudos
MatthiasWüthrich
New Contributor II

I`m using meters. I set the units to meters, so this should not be the problem.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When you say 'set' .... you set the display? you projected your data?  A factor of 1.5 doesn't ring a bell, so you native units in the file could be different (ie decimal degrees) or something else

0 Kudos
MatthiasWüthrich
New Contributor II

Yes, I projected my data. When I check my dataframe properties, it shows me that all layers are all in the same coordinate system (wgs84). The units I set also in dataframe properties and in networkanalyst settings, both meters. When I use the small ruler icon to measure something, it tells me also that unit is meters. The source files are all in meters. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

WGS84 is a datum, not a coordinate system. 

Are the data a GCS WGS84 (aka decimal degrees) or some projected coordinate system with a WGS84 datum (like the web thing )?

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Where is the location of measure? (the country )

How do you get the attribute length and How you know that is the correct one?

0 Kudos
MatthiasWüthrich
New Contributor II

projected coordinate system is wgs1984 webmercator auxiliary sphere, geographic coordinate system gcs wgs84.

Country is Switzerland. I compared measures I made on arcgis with ones i made on google maps. I know think that wgs1984 is simply not made to measure something.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

geographic coordinate systems will return measures in degrees or fractions of a degree in arcmap, unless the dataframe (or map in PRO) is set to return measures in your desired coordinate system.  Dataframes in arcmap, take on the coordinate system of the first layer added to it, which is why you need to explicitly set a coordinate system (or projection) if you intend to rely on 'projection-on-the-fly' .

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

It is to be expected. See the screen shot I am attaching. The red lines are projected to web mercator and the blue lines are in Lambert conformal conic. For the selected edge, the web mercator distance is 115.7 meters and the lambert conformal is 77.7 meters. The difference is about 1.5 times more in web mercator.

Jay Sandhu