Calculating Geometry in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
03-23-2018 03:14 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

In a file geodatabase feature class, I've added two new fields, SqMiles and Acres.  It appears that the good ol' days of ArcMap and using the calculate geometry tool are gone, and little different work flow is required.  See Add Geometry Attributes—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

At any rate, my two fields are set up as double with 2 decimal places and 2 significant digits.  I run the the Add Geometry and tell it Square Miles as the unit and simply calculate my SqMiles field equal to the new POLY_AREA field. But...  Both my fields end up with no decimal places, just whole numbers.

Is there a way to get  a couple of decimal places following this procedure?

That should just about do it....
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I set one to 2 and 6 decimals

Bring up Fields view, and click Numeric format

Do the stuff to make it look like you want Then press OK, the don't forget to Save

Let me know if it worked so I can go back and reset stuff

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I set one to 2 and 6 decimals

Bring up Fields view, and click Numeric format

Do the stuff to make it look like you want Then press OK, the don't forget to Save

Let me know if it worked so I can go back and reset stuff

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Dan.  That's where I set thing up.  I'll give it another try on Monday when I get back....

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I set the decimal places to 2 and left the significant digits at 6 and then made the field calculation and that worked. But, it changed  the significant values to 2 automagically.  Not sure what's up with that, but there's a lot about Pro that I'm not sure about....

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure what's up with that, but there's a lot about Pro that I'm not sure about....

Ha, I think you summed up the sentiments of lots of Pro users....

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is a new world

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

https://community.esri.com/ideas/10695 is now In Product Plan and I think we'll see this with the release of Pro 2.2.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Cool.  Thanks Kory!

0 Kudos