Privileges, Register as Version commands are greyed out when right-clicking a feature class in an ArcSDE geodatabase

Jump to solution
03-23-2018 01:42 PM
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

When right-clicking a feature class in an ArcSDE geodatabase from ArcGIS Desktop, the 'Privileges', ‘Register As Version’ commands are grayed out even though the user is connected as the data owner, and (Advanced) ArcGIS Desktop license is being used.

In my case the data owner is the ‘SDE’ user, I restored this database from the backup to a new SQL server instance on a test machine, The SDE user is able to connect to the database and view the feature classes, now I am trying to assign privileges to users and register the feature classes as versioned and I found out that the Privileges, Register as Version commands are grayed out!

I made sure that I am using the SDE user who owns the data and an Advanced license of ArcMAP 10.5.0 https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000009946

I tried to use change privileges (data management) tool but I got this error!

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.

DBMS table not found [42000:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Cannot find the object 'CanLocations_evw', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.]

Failed to execute (ChangePrivileges).

I checked the view in the database in its there!

What might be the issue here!

Thanks in advance

Ahmad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

You might have granted the SYSADMIN server role to the SDE login, which will make it a DBO schema user and thus those options will be grayed out.

Just as a quick test, you can try creating a simple table or a feature class, connected as the SDE login and check the Data Owner schema.

Did you resync the SDE login after restore of the database?

How To: Re-synch SQL Server logins or users after restoring a database from backup 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

You might have granted the SYSADMIN server role to the SDE login, which will make it a DBO schema user and thus those options will be grayed out.

Just as a quick test, you can try creating a simple table or a feature class, connected as the SDE login and check the Data Owner schema.

Did you resync the SDE login after restore of the database?

How To: Re-synch SQL Server logins or users after restoring a database from backup 

AhmadSALEH1

Asrujit, You Are A Hero! 

I have granted the SYSADMIN server role to the SDE login, I thought this would be better, more permissions means more power to the user ! which is not.

After removing the sysadmin role everything back to normal.

Thanks a lot 

yockee
by
Occasional Contributor II

Why does being granted SYSADMIN limit the capability to Register as Version ? Isnt it better to have more role ?

Need your enlightment.
thank you

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Cross-posted to GIS StackExchange

AhmadSALEH1

Thanks V for the helpful notes.

0 Kudos