I have

03-23-2018 07:24 AM
KenOswald1
New Contributor

I am currently working on digitizing a river map that was published in an academic journal about 40 years ago. I have scanned the map and imported it into ArcGIS and am now working on georeferencing it and digitizing the lines of the river into a shapefile. The map I am digitizing is the hypothesized route of the ancient Teays River, a precursor of the present day Ohio River and is basically the 'best guess' of the original authors. I am an academician who would like to use the map for geospatial analyses involving this ancient river. I would ultimately like to make my digitization freely available to others with similar interests who would use it for display, geospatial analyses, etc in their own studies. I would communicate the availability of this map by publishing it as a short note in an academic journal. I have absolutely no interest in selling or profiting financially in any way from this digitization - it is essentially for dissemination to the academic community (i.e., biogeographers) who might have some use with it for their studies.

Here is my question:

Can I legally do this? I am worried about potential copyright infringement/legalities of publishing a digitized version of a map that has previously been published elsewhere, albeit 40 years ago.

Does anyone have any guidance/experience with this? I would like to know whether this is possible before attempting it. I just have no idea regarding the legalities, but expect that others may know something.

Thanks a lot - any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ken 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ken:

Very cool!  I know some very good geospatial librarians - Phil White U of Colorado, Miriam Olivares Yale, Stace Maples Stanford, Marcy Bidney UWM - perhaps if you contact one of them, they will be able to guide you.  I would think the original authors, if they were still alive, would be grateful that you are interested and are making the map available, but I'm not sure how to best advise.  

--Joseph Kerski 

0 Kudos