can collected location data be post-processed

03-21-2018 07:15 AM
StevenHawkes
New Contributor

Can GPS location data collected in ArcPad be post-processed in a separate application to improve accuracy?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

short answer = yes.

longer answer = yes, but you need to take this into consideration before you collect the data. What type of post processing system will you use? Are you using Trimble tools? Then you need to use GPS Correct with ArcPad to collect the necessary files for post processing. OnPoz is another system for collecting data with ArcPad that can be post processed. You can also log full NMEA sentences in ArcPad that can be used in other software (or ArcPad itself at a later time) to generate positions.

For a more specific answer, please add a little more detail to your question.

CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

I have a similar question. I can export track data from a camera in NMEA - I get logs with both the $GPRMC and $GPGGA sentences. I'm just looking to import my track into ArcMap. I have about 60 files I need to have a look at so I'm looking for a way to take these flat files into a GPX or KML format in some kind of batch mode, rather than having to open them one at a time in excel (or whatever). Not using collector. Just a camera app.

0 Kudos
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

I use Franson GPS Gate to 'play' a NMEA file for use in other apps.

For example you can have GPS Gate play the NMEA text file, configure a COM port for ArcPad to receive the streamed data on, and see it appear in the app just as if you are outside in the field. You can then capture lines, points or polygons from the data stream. GPS Gate can also output to other places, including directly to Google Earth.Take a look at the help link i included above.

This method (of playing the data stream) is not a batch solution - you still need to use an app to create features from the raw NMEA messages. There's typically an app for everything, so there might be something that will batch process them, but NMEA text files are not really designed to be used for feature capture or storage.

0 Kudos
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

I ended up poking around in google earth. This worked for me:

Renamed to .NMEA then Tools--> GPS --> Import from file, [rather than the File--> import menu.]

I can import them all at once, and then export them from google earth. My own batch processor.

Thanks.