AnsweredAssumed Answered

Lite license limitations

Question asked by marc.arsenault on Mar 21, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 by ebader-esristaff

Hello all,

I've been trying to understand and elucidate things we can or can't do when developing mobile apps using the ArcGIS SDK with a "Lite" license and I'd like to clear up confusion for a specific scenario. Many things I’ve been reading about licensing tend to be inconsistent or not as clear as I’d like them to be. Here's the scenario: a mobile app where the user, who is not a member of an AGOL organizational account, enters an "App login" ( "App Id" and "App secret") to access a private Web map by supplying its id. The company who wants to give access to the user to its Web map would create the app id and secret and the map Id. The user could take the Web map offline and use it for viewing and navigation purposes on a mobile device; no editing or sync enabled features. Would an app with such functionalities fit in the legal frame of a "Lite" licensed app?

Based on testing, we know that it is technically possible to do it, but the restrictions around the app login approach are confusing. We have seen some presentations from ESRI staff at Dev summits that mention that app login can be used to view private content owned by the user who created the app login credentials. On the other hand, the restrictions mentioned on the website tell us that you can only use app login with public data…so who’s right?

Can we make the assumption that if the Lite version let us do it, it is ok?

A similar scenario would be for a company to build a private web map and use app login credentials to embed this map (using a proxy of course) in a website to non AGOL users. Is it possible?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Marc

Outcomes