Esri vs ArcGIS runtime SDK for Qt

03-21-2018 07:21 AM
JonasRudlang
New Contributor

I'm currently trying to figure out what the differences are between Esri and ArcGIS. I want to use QML to to implement an app, and found that using maps with QML is very easy. Qt comes with an example that demonstrates how to use different providers, and I see Esri as one of the providers: Qt Location Esri Plugin | Qt Location 5.9

On the other hand, whenever I google to figure out how to use this plugin that already comes with Qt, it always takes me to the ArcGIS website, and tells me to install the ArcGIS SDK. It's also this article that makes things even more confusing: Esri contributes to the latest version of the Qt Project | ArcGIS Blog

"The plugin is independent of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt and does not require any components of ArcGIS Runtime."

Does that imply that the plugin supports everything that ArcGIS does?

What I want to do is just to show 2 layers from a WMTS (or similar) map provided by a 3rd party, as well as offline caching. Is this doable without installing the ArcGIS SDK? If so, where is the documentation for this?

And as a side question; If I'm able to only use Qt's Esri plugin with a 3rd party map service, do I need to purchase a license?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

Jonas-

Esri is our Company name, and ArcGIS is the software platform that we build. There are many individual products that make up ArcGIS.

The plugin that we contributed to Qt allows you to view basemaps, geocode (search for addresses), and perform simple routing. If you are using the Esri Qt Geoservices plugin with a non-Esri service, you do not need any Esri licenses. As specified in this doc (Qt Location Esri Plugin | Qt Location 5.9 ) if you want to use Esri services, you will need to get a Developer subscription. This subscription will enable you to generate a token that you can use for your routing requests.

As for support for WMTS, I don't believe the Esri plugin or any of the Qt Geoservices plugins support WMTS out of the box. However, our ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt does support WMTS out of the box (WmtsLayer Class | ArcGIS for Developers ). 

0 Kudos
GuillaumeVignal
New Contributor

Hello,

Sorry to dig up the topic but i have almost the same question .

If i use the WmtsLayer class provide by ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt in my own QT application with a 3rd partyWMTS server is a licence required?

Thanks

0 Kudos