AnsweredAssumed Answered

Esri vs ArcGIS runtime SDK for Qt

Question asked by Nohack on Mar 21, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 20, 2018 by LDanzinger-esristaff

I'm currently trying to figure out what the differences are between Esri and ArcGIS. I want to use QML to to implement an app, and found that using maps with QML is very easy. Qt comes with an example that demonstrates how to use different providers, and I see Esri as one of the providers: Qt Location Esri Plugin | Qt Location 5.9

On the other hand, whenever I google to figure out how to use this plugin that already comes with Qt, it always takes me to the ArcGIS website, and tells me to install the ArcGIS SDK. It's also this article that makes things even more confusing: Esri contributes to the latest version of the Qt Project | ArcGIS Blog

"The plugin is independent of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt and does not require any components of ArcGIS Runtime."

Does that imply that the plugin supports everything that ArcGIS does?

What I want to do is just to show 2 layers from a WMTS (or similar) map provided by a 3rd party, as well as offline caching. Is this doable without installing the ArcGIS SDK? If so, where is the documentation for this?

And as a side question; If I'm able to only use Qt's Esri plugin with a 3rd party map service, do I need to purchase a license?

Thanks.

Outcomes