Story Map for database entry

Jump to solution
03-20-2018 01:10 PM
MBuchman
New Contributor

I saw a story map example (too many weeks ago to recover it now) that essentially used story maps as a public-accessible venue to display the locations associated with a database while also using a side (or bottom?) frame to show the database records (rather than a popup window on location clicking), plus, allowed authorized users to enter new records in the database. The database view frame allowed for easy filtering of records.

As a newbie to Story Maps, I'm totally stymied on how this was programmed. Any ideas, template suggestions, or examples would be most welcome indeed!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Mike

I see what you mean. Crowdsource won't let you do that. You are really talking about data entry, update and editing. Story Maps aren't designed to be apps for data editing. There are other configurable apps that are set up for that though. In particular see the Crowdsource Reporter, GeoForm, Basic Viewer and Edit apps you'll see listed here: Choose a configurable app—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS . 

In ArcGIS Online, to gather data you'll set up a feature service so it can be edited, and then add it to a map. You can then use that map in configurable apps like the ones above.

See also the Help on editing features on this part of the ArcGIS Online help: Create maps, scenes, and apps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Hope that helps

Rupert

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Story Map Crowdsource if you want readers to be able to add places:
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/app-list/crowdsource/

Story Map Crowdsource | Story Maps 

Story Map Shortlist if you want to author the places yourself or use existing GIS features:
Story Map Shortlist | Story Maps 

Story Map Tour if you want to do something similar to Shortlist but with fewer places or more space for your photos: 

Story Map Tour | Story Maps 

Rupert

MBuchman
New Contributor

Rupert,

Thanks for suggesting various options, but you may not have fully

understood the objective.

I don't want to enter the data myself. That should be done by the

practioners. So Shortlist didn't seem quite right.

We're not talking about photos. This is to present a database for which

every record will have geographic placement. In other words, lat/long are

but two fields in a data record with many other attributes that are of more

interest to the users that merely the location. (Hence the desire for

filtering)

I'm to the point of considering the Crowdsource tempalte, simply without

any photos. But I don't know if that's feasible. Can I get the database

displayed in a frame where there would normally be photos?

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Mike

I see what you mean. Crowdsource won't let you do that. You are really talking about data entry, update and editing. Story Maps aren't designed to be apps for data editing. There are other configurable apps that are set up for that though. In particular see the Crowdsource Reporter, GeoForm, Basic Viewer and Edit apps you'll see listed here: Choose a configurable app—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS . 

In ArcGIS Online, to gather data you'll set up a feature service so it can be edited, and then add it to a map. You can then use that map in configurable apps like the ones above.

See also the Help on editing features on this part of the ArcGIS Online help: Create maps, scenes, and apps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Hope that helps

Rupert