Train Random Trees Classifier: Error executing function. WHY?

03-19-2018 09:27 AM
AngelikaRieder
New Contributor II

Dear all,

When I try to use the tool "Train Random Trees Classifier" with a composite of 36 layers, it gives me the error message "Error 999999: Error executing function. Failed to execute (TrainRandomTreesClassifier)". I tried a lot of things to find out why this error occurs, and now it seems to me that the tool simply cannot manage more than 32 input layers. Has anyone experienced the same and does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

I'm thankful for any help!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

does it work with part of the inputs?

everything in the same coordinate system?

spaces in folder paths?

resources? is it failing because you lack computing resources

ArcMap or PRO?

0 Kudos
AngelikaRieder
New Contributor II

Thanks for your answer!

-yes,

-yes,

-no,

-I don't think so? How do I know this?

-ArcMap.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/spatial-analyst/train-random-trees-classifier.htm

step it back one at a time, until it works, ArcMap is limited in the amount of ram it can use, so try it in PRO if you have a beefy machine ram-wise

AngelikaRieder
New Contributor II

I'm not sure if I understand. My computer has all the system requirements needed to work with ArcMap. My computer's RAM is only 8 GB, so it is sufficient, but not enormous.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As Dan mentioned, ArcMap for being a 32 bit application can only access less than 4 GB or RAM (regardless of the amount you have installed), hence the recommendation to try and use Pro (64 bits)

AngelikaRieder
New Contributor II

Ok now I get it, thanks a lot to both of you. I will try using Pro then.

ErikLowe1
New Contributor

I'm running arcMap 10.5.1 and here was my fix to the ERR999999 with Train Random Trees

Open a NEW arcmap session (clean-slate) and try running the tool

I tried everything - Using different training samples (created both in/outside of the training manager), different ancillary multiband rasters (or none), segmented image (both all three bands and just 1 band), changing the parameters, etc.

Running the tool outside the mxd I was performing all my processing in, which had ~100 geoprocessing results, was the fix. Map Documents (especially documents with lots of processing history) are notorious for having "gremlins" in them

0 Kudos
AngelikaRieder
New Contributor II

Thank you for your answer! I just tried it this way. But unfortunately, it didn't work, either.

0 Kudos