How to Create HydroJunction in Stormwater network

03-14-2018 07:31 PM
Labels (1)
JohnBickmore
New Contributor III

I have a pipe network and stormwater inlets. the pipes are all flowing the right way and all have inlet at the top and at junctions.  I have a DEM derived from LiDAR from which I have derived a stream network. Visually it looks like everything connects and its easy to trace the network however I am having issues actually creating the network. The pipes and inlets are very disjointed as it largely relies on street guttering and natural drainage. The user notes seem to pass over the actual creation of the hydrojunction feature class. I have made sink polygons from buffering the inlets but I need to connect these to the hydrojunction FC which is essentially the inlets??. I am hoping someone has a completed network so I can see how the hydrojunctions, sinkpolys and other features link and what fields are required?

Attached is a visual of the network - the labels are the elevations in metres of the bottom of the storm water inlets.

Thankyou

Regards

John

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor

The HydroJunction feature class is created first as a point layer. Add all your inlets + any sink point that may need to be added at the end of terminal streams. This is (briefly) described in section 2.6 Review HydroJunction used as Inlet/Sinks in the Arc Hydro Stormwater Processing document. Then HydroJunction is used when creating the network so that all inlets are coincident with the lines.

Christine Dartiguenave

Esri Water Resources Team 

0 Kudos
JohnBickmore
New Contributor III

Thankyou for your prompt reply ☺

So I can just rename my stormwater inlet point layer to “hydrojuntion” and add a hydroID?? Do I need to include the drainage points generated in archydro which includes inlets and junctions to the surface drainage network

Regards

John

0 Kudos
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor

You only need your inlets: HydroJunction defines the points where the water can enter the pipe network, They should not be needed on the streams. Exception is the end of a terminal stream: you need a hydrojunction there or make sure it is extended outside of the dem.

Christine

0 Kudos
LizanneWilmot1
New Contributor

Hi @Christine Dartiguenave I'm a colleague of John's.  I've made it pretty much to the end of the model, but I've hit a block linking the sink watersheds with the Hydro Junction.  I'm currently going through all the steps again (from the start with a new mxd).  But somewhere I missed creating a Feature ID in one of the inputs.  would you know which ones were critical so i could take extra care when checking the attribute table outputs?

0 Kudos
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor

FeatureID is created by Create Sink Structures  in SinkPolygon. It is  the HydroID of the associated input DraftSinkPoly.

We are finalizing some updates to the process that will change the way these steps are performed and adding a way to create "Overland Flow Connector" which will link the end of the pipes (outlets) to downstream outlets/inlets/streams/flow connectors using overland flows.

Christine Dartiguenave

Esri Water Resources Team

0 Kudos