Collector - moving an existing location in the field, updating the lat/long coordinates

03-14-2018 04:28 PM
SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

Our field workers are navigating to point locations on an AGOL map with imagery (ESRI basemap on device). Some of these positions have incorrect latitude and longitude associated with them so they appear in the wrong place on the imagery/map. We want to correct these locations in the field when they discover that the point is in the wrong place. Does moving (editing) the point change the lat/long on the app? Or when shapefile is downloaded from AGOL do I need to recalculate the lat/long in Arc Map, or does the lat/long change when the point is moved? Is it better to type in the correct lat/long using a GPS and not move the point, or do both? How best to capture the correct location for future work.

4 Replies
MTorres
Occasional Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Arc never ever auto updates any field.  I personally got away from static lat long fields since they are always out of date and you have no idea what projection they are in sometimes.  You can always ask Arc for the lat/long so why store it.

For use in apps I use Arcade to calc the lat/long dynamically if I need it for display or for sending to 123.  I have this code let me know if you need it.

0 Kudos
NadiaTargulian
New Contributor II

Hi Doug,

Could you please send me the code to update lat/long dynamically? I am thinking of moving to a new Collector from Classic and that is one of the things that is good about the new version.

Thank you,

Nadia

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Convert a Web Mecator Lat/Long to a WGS84 Lat Long using Arcade in a web map pop up

Return as text - adjust as you want.

var originShift = 2.0 * PI * 6378137.0 / 2.0;
var lon = (Geometry($feature).x / originShift) * 180.0;
var lat = (Geometry($feature).y / originShift) * 180.0;

lat = 180.0 / PI * (2.0 * Atan( Exp( lat * PI / 180.0)) - PI / 2.0);

return lon + " " + lat;
0 Kudos