Whats the best way to use a hill shade for a custom base map?

03-13-2018 08:51 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have 3 hill shades; two topographic ones with different Colour scales and one bathymetricthat together form the basis for a cartographic product. I would like to use them as a base map for our ArcGIS Online maps but haven't yet found a way that is practical to publish them so that they aren't slow or take up a lot of space.

Thanks

5 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Joel,

Are you looking to use this for display purposes or would you like to interact with the data?

If you have static symbology or your hillshade, consider publishing a raster tile service (tile service in ArcGIS Online)

If you want to change the look of the symbology and still not access the data, consider a vector tile service.

If you need access to the data and the ability to perform analytics, you'll need to publish an image service to ArcGIS Enterprise.

Thanks,

Kelly

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kelly,

When I try and cache the tile service it's over 600 GB which we can't host effectively at the moment. Are there any other options, we are only looking to display these.

Thanks

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey Joel,

How large is the area of the hillshades? A 600GB cache is really large so i'm wondering if its a really large area, or how many scales are you planning to build tiles at? If your data is global and needs to be tiled at a large scale, it may need to be the size that it is. I'd suggest verifying the extent and scales that you need to create tiles at.

You can look into publishing tiles to create automatically or on demand in ArcGIS Enterprise. This publishes the tile service, but doesn't generate the tiles until they are requested. Once requested the tile is generated and is stored with the service. This helps if you have a dataset that is large, but you don't think is going to be used in all geographies or at all scales, but you want the option available to your users in case.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In total the area of the rasters is about 14,000 sq km. Ideally I would like to cache it from level 10-17 (~1:500,000 to ~1:4500)

The rasters themselves are about 30 GB on their own. they had a 2 m resolution but have been re-sampled to 25 m

Thanks

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey Joel,

If your tile cache needs to be 600 GB, there is this method to upload it and host it in ArcGIS Online. There is a maximum single file upload size of 500GB:  https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/users-groups-and-items/considerations-and-limitations.htm

You will need to split up the data based on extent or level and generate at least 2, or multiple tile packages. Realistically, you can split this into two packages, 10-16 in one and level 17 in another.

You can upload both packages as items using a share package tool in either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. You'll need to use a desktop application as these file sizes are larger than allowable file upload sizes withing a browser.

Using the first package item publish the tile service and once the service is published successfully you can use the import call on this service to upload the second package. https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/services-reference/import-tiles.htm

Let me know if you have any questions,

-Kelly

0 Kudos