How do I prevent Euclidean Distance from depleting my entire SDD space during analysis?

03-08-2018 08:26 PM
SvenStadtmann
New Contributor

Hi, I am trying to get the Euclidean Distance tool to work create a raster that measures the distance to New Zealands native forests.

The raster has a cell size of 8 and snaps to the NZ Digital Elevation Model and the analysis spans the entire country. 

For some reason, the Euclidean Distance tool gets stuck at 2% progress "Initialization Phase ...". It creates incredible amounts of data in the Temp folder and depletes my whole SDD space (280 GB!!!).

Is there any way to get the tool to work without depleting the whole disk space? Current environment settings:

Auto Commit 1000,

Compression type LZ77,

Tile size 128x128.

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2

Intel Core i7 4770K

16GB DDR3 Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Don_JHemakumara
New Contributor II

Why don't you clean up the tool history, temporary files and any logs first and then run the tool with parallel processing setting at 100%  utilizing all your procs?

As I am not familiar with PRO, I explained how I would do this using ArcMap.  

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

8 meters? raster type? (tiff? esri raster? etc)

Extent? (rows and columns? number of nodata cells? is a mask being used?)

anything else?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My guess is 8 meters is far more detail than you need for this analysis. Reducing the resolution reduces your raster size by the square so I'd try that. (For example, an 80m grid would be 100x smaller.)

0 Kudos