Flood Information Tool

Jump to solution
03-08-2018 03:26 PM
NickZubel
New Contributor III

I am working with the Flood Information Tool and Hazus.  I am completing project information in the "Project Setup and Validation" box and when I create and select a new folder in the working directory, it says" "the working directory path cannot contain spaces." The new folder does not contain spaces.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NickZubel
New Contributor III

I located the initial external drive of where the files were located and removed the spaces in its title.  

Many thanks,

Nick Zubel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could you elaborate?  If you are working in PRO, then what is the location where your project was made?

Can you look for your default Project settings and report what is set there at the General level regarding where projects are created and the location of the geodatabase that is being created/used

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

You say that the new folder doesn't contain spaces, but the error is saying that the path can't contain spaces. Check the full path that leads to the working directory where you're creating your folder.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The horrid C:\Users folder is a candidate if there is a space or other punctuation in your name or the path

NickZubel
New Contributor III

I am sorry for the late response. The directory I am using is the following: E:\City_of_Berkeley_DDMP_Hazus

0 Kudos
NickZubel
New Contributor III

I also tried E:\CityofBerkeleyDDMPHazus, but still get the invalid directory message: "The working directory path cannot contain spaces."

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just a thought - I have not used HAZUS myself, but have heard from other GIS folks who use it that it has some levels of raster processing as part of it.  What potentially may be going on is that the folder it is being pointed at violates the ESRI GRID format rules, which are very strict.  Therefore, try creating a very short folder name (<13 characters, or better <9 characters) and see if it then works.

Esri Grid format

The name of an Esri Grid format raster has more specific restrictions:

• The maximum number of characters is 13.
  • It cannot have spaces.
  • It cannot use special characters other than underscore ( "_" ).
  • For tools that output an Esri Grid Stack, the stack name cannot have more than 9 characters.
  • The total length of the name for a Grid and its path cannot be more than 128 characters.

Source:  Output raster formats and names—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

NickZubel
New Contributor III

Okay I figured it out.  Thank you everyone!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I'm glad you figure it out, Nick.  Could you close the loop by explaining the solution?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
NickZubel
New Contributor III

Thank you Chris. That was very helpful.  I really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos