Photos don't upload from Ipad Minis

Jump to solution
03-07-2018 04:55 PM
ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

I have a survey123 form, and for some reason on certain devices the captured images don't upload.

It works beautifully on:

Iphone6  iOS 10.3

Ipad2 iOS 9.3

However when using an iPad mini  iOS 11.2.6 the images don't upload but there is no error.

There are some posts around the web (and one on this site) about changing the image capture format on new devices from .heic back to .jpeg. However this option isn't available under the camera setting on the ipad mini devices.

https://community.esri.com/thread/204578-problems-with-attachments-on-ios-devices-with-survey123-v-2...

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisRoberts2

Image of me smacking myself on the forehead!

It was a Survey123 app version issue.  I was using the latest 2.5 version on my devices, where as the field crew devices were still on 2.4.  Updating these to the latest versions seemed to resolve it!!!!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChrisRoberts2
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

We do not currently support the .heic format which is now available and the default in new iOS 11 devices that support it. If the camera hardware on the device does not support .heic, even though you have iOS 11 you will not see the option in the camera settings. In this case the default will be .jpeg. Sounds like your iPad mini does not support .heic so that is not the problem.

Is it only a particular survey that images do not get uploaded, or all surveys on this device? If you create a new simple test survey with just one text question and one image question, does it work?

Have you tried the beta version 2.7 available on the Survey123 Early Adopter Community, as we have made some changes to the way uploads of attachments are handled in this new version.

Phil.

0 Kudos
ChrisRoberts2

Hi Philip

Thanks for the quick response.

You are right in the fact that its not an .heic issue as the images are being tagged as .jpeg

I just created a very simple one question one photo survey and weirdly the image was uploaded and attached using a hosted feature service on our Portal.  It uploaded the attachment fine

However

When I created a similar simple form using a feature service that has been published using a layer from our Enterprise Geodatabase the same problem occurs.  It works on every other type of device expect the ipad minis.  So it would appear that it has something to do with feature service where the layer is not hosted on the portal, but why would this only happen on one type of device??

0 Kudos
ChrisRoberts2

Image of me smacking myself on the forehead!

It was a Survey123 app version issue.  I was using the latest 2.5 version on my devices, where as the field crew devices were still on 2.4.  Updating these to the latest versions seemed to resolve it!!!!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Glad you sorted it out, my next question was going to be to ensure you have the same version on each device as the app works the same way using the same code for image attachments regardless of whether iPad or iPhone or Mini etc.

Phil.

0 Kudos