prevent downloads from AGOL

03-07-2018 10:03 AM
PeteMagee
New Contributor

We have publically shared features in AGOL. I do not want anyone to be able to download the features.  How do I prevent this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KenDoman
Occasional Contributor II

There are a number of ways you can accomplish this, with different results.

1. You can change the sharing of the features from Public to Organization Only or Private. But, then those features may not be visible on a publicly facing web map.
  2. If the features are hosted on ArcGIS Server, you can require an ArcGIS Server Login to access them. Then, from ArcGIS Online or Portal, you can replace the existing feature connection with the new feature connection, which will let you save the user name and password with the layer definition.That forces users to go through an ArcGIS proxy, preventing your services from being scraped. From there, you can control the rate and ways those features are used.
  3. If your features are from an ArcGIS Online or Portal hosted feature service, you can create a feature service view. This will let you control what areas, fields, and permissions a user would have with the view, independent of the permissions of the feature service.
0 Kudos
geoshi
by
New Contributor II

Can ArcGIS Online host a map service (as opposed to Feature Service) so the service online provide "images" to client apps?

0 Kudos
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

hi Ken,

In the settings of my Feature Layer (hosted, view) I have left the option to Allow others to export to different formats unchecked but am still able to pull the REST endpoint into an ArcPro project, sign out, and export the data to a new feature class. Can you let me know how I can prevent a publicly shared layer from being downloaded/exported?

0 Kudos
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I've created an ArcGIS Online Idea related to this topic here: 

prevent data download/export from AGOL public laye... - Esri Community

0 Kudos