workforce and iphone location

03-07-2018 03:31 PM
KurtLebo
New Contributor III

Anyone out there using workforce with IOS devices?   If so are you running into any  issue reporting proper location or at least showing up accurately in the Dispatcher side of workforce?     All Android phones work fine.   

When I say proper we have iphones reporting locations that are more than a mile away.    

0 Kudos
16 Replies
RobbieBagby
New Contributor III

We tested workforce for search and rescue exercise today in an area that had decent but not great cell reception. We are also on AT&T First Net network for public safety. 4 out of 4 iPhone 8 showed locations 3 miles away from where they were supposed to be. 1 out of 5 iPhone 7 with same issue. Samsung Galaxy S9 had no issues but we only had 2 to test. Will test more android phones at next exercise in May and post back results.

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

What region are you located at? It has worked for me in the past. 

GPS May Not Work in Western US — the Air Force's Jamming It 

0 Kudos
KurtLebo
New Contributor III

Robbie,

When you were testing Workforce, did you also notice the Iphones were not reporting location per the time period setting in workforce?    We set location reporting ot 30 seconds.  All Android devices worked fine.    Iphone 6, 7 and 8 all reported sporadically  and often with 10 - 15 minute gaps.   

0 Kudos
RobbieBagby
New Contributor III

Yes we did notice that behavior with the iphones. We would log out of the app and back in on those phones with no updates on location. We would then power cycle the phones and then turn Workforce back on which would update the location to the correct position only to stop reporting again after several minutes. 

0 Kudos
RobbieBagby
New Contributor III

1 hour south of Atlanta, GA at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center. 

0 Kudos
AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

Did this issue ever get resolved? We are running Workforce on several iPad Air 2 and are having similar bad location issues.

0 Kudos
KurtLebo
New Contributor III

As far as I know these issues are not resolved.   From our perspective we are beginning an investigation of other  products that do similar functions.     ESRI tech support told be me this was a hardware issue rather than an app issue - thus why we are looking for an alternative solution.   

0 Kudos
RobbieBagby
New Contributor III

We tested again on May 3 at the MCV exercise on Lake Lanier, GA. Same results. All iphones reported sporadically while all Androids worked as expected. This time we had 7 Androids to test and 4 iphones. 

This is an image of the Androids which are tightly clustered and reporting correctly. We even put one in a helicopter which are the purple dots and it worked as well. The average accuracy of all phones was 21.23 meters over a 4 hour period.

This is an image of the 4 iphones at the same extent and they are all over the place with an average accuracy of 2,508 meters over a 4 hour period. There are even points that are well outside the extent you see here. The points in the middle of the lake should have been where the majority of the points were in the previous image.

After 2 tests, we are going to use Android phones for future events. 

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Kurt, Robbie, April,

We'd like to track down what is happening with this - I've reached out to each of you through Direct Message.

thanks,

Craig Gillgrass

esri

0 Kudos