adding video (or even a.gif) to cascade Story Map

03-06-2018 10:16 AM
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to upload a video (mp4) or a .gif file into my cascade story map.

video files cannot be hosted on AGOL, and the .gif file is not uploading either (it says .gif file types are supported).

How else can I get a 23 second video clip to be embedded into my story map? (without hosting on youtube)

Tags (3)
1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Joe -- The size limit for uploading a single image to a Cascade story is 10 MB. You can try adjusting the quality and/or frame rate of your GIF to see if you can reduce its size will still keeping acceptable quality. Otherwise, you can host a GIF file that's larger than 10MB somewhere else (like another web server or Amazon S3) and link to it using the Link to Content tab in the media picker. However, keep in mind that the larger the file, the longer it will take to load for your readers, so try to get it down as far as possible. Even a 5MB GIF may load slowly depending on your readers' connection speeds, especially for someone accessing your story on a mobile device.

Another option is to host an MP4 video file within a simple web page with a video player on your own web server and link to that from the same Link to Content tab in Cascade's media picker. There's an article on our Developer blog with instructions on how to do that. Some media production software, like Camtasia, have an export option that will create the web page player for you.

YouTube or Vimeo are the best options for hosting longer or larger videos, but GIFs can work for shorter/smaller animations.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps