Layer on off option in story map

Jump to solution
03-03-2018 11:46 PM
SanjaykumarRajbhar
New Contributor II

I am trying to add layer on/off functionality in story map(bulleted). is there anyway to do that. I am also aware that most of time story maps intended to use like final product. In my case I needed to have layer list with on/off option. can somebody point me how to achieved that. I have downloaded the templates but no idea where to add code for  this. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

We generally do not recommend adding a layer on/off list to story maps. Unless you are a subject expert of the story map you are reading, most users do not understand why they should turn some layers on and other layers off. This is why we have intentionally left this feature out of our applications. Instead, we find it better for the author to set up specific views and lead their audience through the different bullets using the advanced map bookmark feature we provide. If you know you are sharing the app with subject experts, the easiest way to accomplish this is to publish the map to one of the other templates on ArcGIS Online that includes the layer list on/off buttons. Then embed that template as a web page into the Story Map Series (bulleted layout).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

We generally do not recommend adding a layer on/off list to story maps. Unless you are a subject expert of the story map you are reading, most users do not understand why they should turn some layers on and other layers off. This is why we have intentionally left this feature out of our applications. Instead, we find it better for the author to set up specific views and lead their audience through the different bullets using the advanced map bookmark feature we provide. If you know you are sharing the app with subject experts, the easiest way to accomplish this is to publish the map to one of the other templates on ArcGIS Online that includes the layer list on/off buttons. Then embed that template as a web page into the Story Map Series (bulleted layout).

TimFavier
New Contributor II

Doing it this way, the map layers are not coupled anymore.

I want to create a storymap series in which the maps in the tabs are coupled, and in which one tab has a map in which the user can switch layers on and off. But in this way, the maps in the different tabs are not coupled anymore.

Is there another solution? 

Regards, Tim