Spatial Joining Polygons to Raster Cells

01-29-2011 10:04 AM
AndrewJoseph
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to create a raster surface showing the amount of housing units within a quarter mile from raster cells with a cell width of 50 feet. To do this I need to be able to somehow spatially join the tax parcels (polygons) within 1320 feet of the cell to the cell in order to get the total number of housing units within a quarter mile of each cell.

I have currently accomplished this task by using the label points from a fishnet as sample points, then spatial joining all parcels to the points that intersect a 1320 foot buffer around the points. I then take these points and create a 50 foot resolution raster surface using IDW. The problem is that it requires me to create over 13 million points!

Is there not a faster way?

Thanks,

Andrew
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Andrew,

The raster you are "joining" the parcel data to, will it not double count all your parcel data? I'm think you'll have raster cells a quarter of a mile away as well as raster cells directly underneath your parcel so that parcel is counted for as many cells under or a quarter of a mile away?

Anyway are these parcels non-overlapping (I know nothing about tax parcels)? If so would the Focal Statistics tool achieve what you want? You would rasterize your polygon layer with the value being the count field and then do a Focal statistic on it? The help file has lots of information about the different parameters of the tool.

Just an idea, may be not what you want?

Duncan
0 Kudos