Trouble with Reclassify tool

01-28-2011 12:12 PM
MattGray
New Contributor
I am trying to reclassify a slope layer I have into a scheme where is it 0-1,1-2, 2-3, etc etc... but when I enter New Values in the reclassify table as 0-1, 1-2, etc. It gives me an error message saying New Value can only integer or NoData when I try to save the table. On the tool help menu, it states that New Values can be either integer  or ranges separating the numbers with a hyphen. When I try to run the reclassify tool with these ranges in the New Data part of the table it fails to reclassify. Anyone know how I can reclassify my slope layer? It is still a floating point raster I think if that helps..
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MattGray
New Contributor
When I try to do any tool, not just reclassify, it gives me errors. Here are the error codes im getting:

error code 999999: Error executing function
the table name is invalid
No spatial reference exists
error code 010302: Unable to create output raster
error code 010067: Error in executing grid expresssion
0 Kudos
MattGray
New Contributor
So I figured out why it was not working. I needed to updated the file geodatabase I was using to an ArcGIS 10 geodatabase. I made it on the ccomputers at my internship that only use 9.2. Now that is taken care of, I have another question. How do you make a layer so it opens up with a classified symbology and not a stretched symbology? I reclassified the layer I want and it still opens up using a stretched display everytime I load it. Anyway to change this?
0 Kudos
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
Glad you found a solution to your first problem, as I couldn't seem to replicate it on my machine (v10).

As for your second question, the symbology can be saved to a Layer file.

Right click your raster in the table of contents and click Save to Layer File.

This layer file (.lyr) stores only the symbology and not the actual data. The data will need to remain on disk for this layer file to draw properly, or at all.

It can be added to any map similar to adding any other form of data, like the add data button.
0 Kudos
MattGray
New Contributor
Thanks for responding. I got it to let me reclassify only once before it stopped letting me do anything again. I am just going to use 9.2 tomorrow at my internship.
0 Kudos
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
Thanks for responding. I got it to let me reclassify only once before it stopped letting me do anything again. I am just going to use 9.2 tomorrow at my intership.

If you had run the tool, regardless of whether it failed or succeeded, you should change the output name to something different when running it again.

Even clearing the results doesn't always help.

example, if your first output was called Slope.tif, then change the next output to Slope1.tif

but good luck with your research.
0 Kudos
DaveTewksbury
New Contributor III
I'm trying to create a reclassifed raster DEM to just 2 vaules and the reclassify tool keeps defaulting to 9 values. Under the classify button, manual, or any type for that matter, does not allow you to change the number of classes.

Also having issues with error message associated with precision.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Dave

UPDATE: found the issue had to do with some spurious values in the raster. Checking the box "change missing values to no data" gave me the 2 value result I was looking for.