Mobile worker location icon colour

Jump to solution
02-26-2018 11:31 PM
PeterSmith3
New Contributor III

I have a general question regarding what happens to the status/colour of a mobile worker's Dispatcher map icon when they're travelling and they lose phone reception.

Working in regional Australia the mobile phone network can be patchy. So my question is: if an 'active' worker is driving to an assignment, and they lose mobile network coverage, does their Dispatcher map icon stay green/active, or does it change to grey/not working and then resume as green/active once they pick up a phone signal again? Either way, I'm assuming that their icon will appear to stop in one location for a while, and then jump to a new location once back in coverage.

I'm asking this from a safety point of view, as our workers often travel alone, and it could be useful to gauge whether they've set their status to 'not working' themselves or not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Peter,

A few things will happen when the phone no longer has a network connection:

- Workforce will present the Worker's last known location on the map - you're correct that it will appear like the Worker has not moved for a period of time.

- Workforce will also display the last known status of the Worker; i.e. Working, Not Working, On Break and the color associated with that status.

- On the Workers tab in Workforce, under the Worker, you'll see an indication of how long it's been since we last received an update from Workforce on the Worker's phone.  This is to give the Dispatcher an idea if the Worker's status and location are stale; as they would be if they had lost network connection or if the phone died.

Let me know if this answers your question,

Craig

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Peter,

A few things will happen when the phone no longer has a network connection:

- Workforce will present the Worker's last known location on the map - you're correct that it will appear like the Worker has not moved for a period of time.

- Workforce will also display the last known status of the Worker; i.e. Working, Not Working, On Break and the color associated with that status.

- On the Workers tab in Workforce, under the Worker, you'll see an indication of how long it's been since we last received an update from Workforce on the Worker's phone.  This is to give the Dispatcher an idea if the Worker's status and location are stale; as they would be if they had lost network connection or if the phone died.

Let me know if this answers your question,

Craig

PeterSmith3
New Contributor III

Hi Craig,

Many thanks for your reply, it's exactly what I needed to know.

Pete

0 Kudos