Is there a way to dock the identify/pop up screen in ArcGIS Pro?

02-23-2018 06:51 AM
ErinSchmidt1
New Contributor

Is there any way to dock the pop up screen to a specific spot and leave it there?  I frequently open and close the pop up window and it would be nice if it stayed in the exact same spot or if it could be docked along with the Catalog and Geoprocessing tabs along the side of the screen.  The identify tool could be docked in ArcMap but that doesn't seem to be the case in Pro.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Dan is right.  The popups can be pinned to keep them in their location.  However, I'm curious about your use case of frequently opening and closing the popup.  The current identify workflow in ArcGIS Pro is to use the Attributes pane along with selections to identify.  See The Quest for the Missing Identify Tool | ArcGIS Blog 

Also, you might be interested in https://community.esri.com/ideas/10859‌ - that thread provides more screenshots about using the Attributes pane.

0 Kudos
DanielBrenner
Occasional Contributor

I have something roughly the same going on in ArcGIS 10.5.   

Once I identify a point, I would like to zoom into the point automatically, and once I do, have the Identify window dock to a position on the monitor so that I can actually SEE what it is I am identifying, instead of having to move it from being on top of the feature.  

Another thing I'd like to do is customize the Identify window so that X amount of attributes for a layer are in one "field" and the other set of attributes are in the next "field" over.   This would be similar to the Fields tab in the Properties for any layer.

If there is a way to attach my illustrations to show what it is I am referring to I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Daniel B

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like you want to develop a custom tool using arcobjects though

DanielBrenner
Occasional Contributor

Essentially yes, I'm seeing that.  I haven't ever worked with ArcObjects but I have time on my hands at work so...

If I was to go that way, how difficult do you think it would be to do something like that? 

I talked to ESRI Support and they mentioned ArcObjects and forwarded me to the SDK Desktop staff but I couldn't get through to them.

0 Kudos
DanielBrenner
Occasional Contributor

Is there another software that I could use to do the same thing?   One that's just as functional, recognizing the spatial element and then converting it into an informational window (tag?) and positioning itself appropriately?

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you considered using the build-in HTML-popup option of layers in ArcMap? Supposedly, this also works for ArcGIS Server served layers:

Setting HTML pop-up properties for feature layers—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Well, as to other software, there is of course QGIS out there... The upcoming 3.0 release seems to support more dockable windows:

http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/3.0.0/#enable-tabbed-floating-docks 

And an older functionality seems to already allow you to dock the attribute table in QGIS 2.x:

qgis - Displaying attribute table on top - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange  

0 Kudos
DanielBrenner
Occasional Contributor

Marco,

Thanks kindly for the link to QGIS; there were a lot of fun things to look at, but how I'd integrate them into ArcGIS is beyond me.    

The big thing behind this is that this is something that should have been more than readily apparent from the get go for the design of the ArcGIS (or ArcView??) Identify user interface:

1) why are you tempting the user to think they can put in other info in a field that is blank when you extend the Identify window to see more attributes?

2) why does the Identify window have to be in front of the Identified object when the User clicks on it? 

Grr.   I'm not trying to rag on the designers but what else is a rookie GISer supposed to think (YES YES YES that is who I am doing this for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

0 Kudos
CathyWilson2
Occasional Contributor

I have a similar problem. I click on an item and get the identify pop-up. I want to transcribe some of the data into the attribute table, but as soon as I click on the attribute table, the pop-up closes. Clicking the "Pin to screen" button doesn't help. Am I missing something? Or does "Pin to screen" only work if you want multiple pop-ups on the screen at one time?

0 Kudos