How to remove Cascade cover?

Jump to solution
02-22-2018 01:56 PM
ClaireLock
New Contributor II

Hi there, I am creating a Cascade story map and, for design reasons, am wanting to remove the cover section so that the viewer is taken straight to the immersive section. Is this possible? I tried deleting the cover section in a test cascade's JSON but this seemed to corrupt the application. 

Thank you in advance.

Claire 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Claire

This isn't supported. When you make a Cascade, a cool looking cover page is part of the reader experience. Is there a particular design effect you are looking for?

Rupert

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Claire

This isn't supported. When you make a Cascade, a cool looking cover page is part of the reader experience. Is there a particular design effect you are looking for?

Rupert

ClaireLock
New Contributor II

Hi Rupert,

Thank you for your response.

The cascade cover page works really well on the main stage in the introductory section of my journal.

The thing is that I am embedding several cascades within the journal (each linked to through 'Story actions').  Each cascade provides a very brief, one-page profile for a single species - I really like the immersive format with a floating text box for this, but having a cover page for each profile adds an additional layer of 'packaging' on the main stage.  

I have tried to replicate the immersive style by using a journal with a floating panel (instead of embedding a cascade), but I find that the floating panel looks too rigid.

Are there any other ways to reproduce the immersive cascade effect?

Thanks,

Claire 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Claire -- it's part of our long-term development plan to let you more easily mix and match parts of different types of story maps, but unfortunately your idea is a bit ahead of its time and we're not there yet. You could download the code for one or more story map apps and customize it, but that would require JavaScript development skill.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Claire. It sounds like you are using each Cascade to present a single page of info for each species inside a Map Journal. In general we'd definitely recommend trying to just use one template in any story map project if possible instead of multiple embedded stories, not just for ease of use but for easier authoring and management, so you don't have multiple apps to manage.. For example you could perhaps use a single Cascade instead of a Map Journal containing multiple Cascades. That said, some authors are getting nice results with Cascades or Map Journals embedded inside bulleted or tabbed Map Series apps (for example see  http://eastduncouncil.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=51657d2fb4694f74bfec5a42e32a92... or https://web.tplgis.org/Storymaps/ERCKingCounty/ ) where the embedded app can fill the whole available page width.

Rupert

0 Kudos
Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

We would also like this as a feature! We often embed map journal and cascade story maps into bulleted or tabbed map series templates as you have shown in the examples above. However, sometimes we want a narrative focused tab and we don't want the user to have to scroll past a large cover page with huge title font. This can be distracting and gives the user the impression that you are adding emphasis to this title over other tabs (which is incorrect). If the cover page cannot be removed/hidden, then at the very least it would be nice if we could adjust the size and positioning of the title font to be more in-keeping with the rest of our map series.

Thanks,

Anneka

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Claire

I just saw this tweet to a story map that is perhaps the reverse of your approach. They are using a single Cascade with different sections for different species, and they are embedding single-section Map Journals with story actions into the Cascade to provide clickable galleries of images. The State of America's Forests on Twitter: "National Invasive Species Awareness Week-Learn about how... 

Rupert

HollyStrand
New Contributor

I would also like to have an easy way to bypass the cover page.

0 Kudos