Geolocator options in ArcPro - Additional Field and other questions

02-20-2018 08:57 AM
KimberlyMeinert
Occasional Contributor

I'm in the process of building a workflow for a staff member to be able to geocode a csv file in a future WebApp, and my first task is to build a new geolocator on our address points using ArcPro.  I would also like to include the Municipality Name in addition to the Post Office (City) name because they want to be able to report back which civil division it falls into, not what post office they get their mail from.  I have this information right on my address points that I'm making the locator from, so I'd like to not have to add another spatial join step at the end.

I had thought that's what the "additional field" option was for when I was building my locator, but it doesn't seem to come along for the ride when I match my addresses.  Am I missing something?  Is there another way to automatically bring this information along since it already exists in the source data?

I have a related question too - It did a good job of matching 80 out of my 85 addresses.  But four of them that didn't match simply had "La" instead of "Ln" for "Lane".  In ArcMap you could adjust the sensitivity, I don't see that option in Pro.  And I also don't yet know what that's going to do when I publish it as a service, but that's a step for another day...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Kimberly:

1. You did everything correct by mapping the municipality to the additional user field when building the locator. You are probably missing the step where you turn on that additional field in the output. You want the additional field and any other output settings turned on before you publish the locator as a service. When the locator is added to the project in ArcGIS Pro, right-click the locator and select Locator Properties. You will want to change the 'Write user-specified additional output fields" property to yes.

About modifying a locator's settings—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

2.The spelling sensitivity is located on the Geocoding options page of the Locator Properties, but I would not adjust it just to get those 4 addresses to match. I would do one of two things:

a. Launch the Rematch Addresses pane to see if candidates are available and if not, just modify the street type value and select the highest scoring candidate returned. Rematch geocoding results—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

b. Open the attribute table of the geocoded result and change the 'La' to 'Ln' in the field named In_Address for the 4 records. It's the field that starts with IN_ and contains the input address, this is the field that is used during the geocoding process. Then launch the Rematch Addresses geoprocessing tool and specify a query that would select those 4 records that were modified and run the tool. The tool would rematch only those four records that were modified.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The OP said "I have a related question too - It did a good job of matching 80 out of my 85 addresses.  But four of them that didn't match simply had "La" instead of "Ln" for "Lane"."

In previous address locators you could modify the .cls file associated with a specific style so it could match multiple road suffixes (e.g. La, Ln, and Lane could all be associated with Ln in the .cls file).  If there some equivalent configuration that can be done with newer address locators so you would not need to manually change attribute data in the geocoded result table?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

The following technical article provides steps for adding a new street pretype for a custom highway, the steps in the article are equivalent to modifying the *.cls file of locators prior to version 10.0. How To: Add a custom highway to the address locator style  You can use most of the steps in the article to modify the 'Lane' suffix type definition in the <section desc="Suffix types"> section of the USAddress.lot.xml file. If you wanted to continue to use 'La' as an abbreviation for 'Lane', add 'La' to the following alias list for Lane.

<def name="_ST_Lane" is_alias_list="true">
<alt>Lane</alt>
<alt>Ln</alt>
<alt>Lanes</alt>
<alt>Lne</alt>
</def>

0 Kudos