What is supported in MMPKs at this point?

02-20-2018 06:38 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've seen threads from last summer, fall, and into the end of 2017 for basemaps, rasters, TPKs, etc. and what can and can't be included in an MMPK. Factor in that Android is behind iOS (we use both), and I've gotten confused as to what the app can read and what Pro can export.  I'm on the latest Pro 2.1 and the latest beta of Explorer for Android and latest release of Explorer on iOS. My observations thus far:

1. I can't include any Esri basemaps, vector or raster based, when creating an MMPK in Pro. I get invalid file type.

2. I can export an MMPK with a TPK loaded into a Pro map, the MMPK file size is large enough that I know the TPK was included, but loading the MMPK on either Android or iOS results in not being able to see the TPK-based basemap. I thought that was a feature that was going to be released in the Explorer version released alongside Pro 2.1? Am I missing something?

3. Creating an MMPK with just simple vector layers - roads, rivers, etc. - can be downloaded on the device, but then when trying to load an Esri basemap with a data connection, I get "basemap is incompatible with this map".

So at this point, I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. Can some provide some information that as of February 2018, how we get imagery and/or other basemaps in an offline MMPK for use in Explorer? I've spent a good 6-8 hours trying various things and can't get anything to work. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Nathan,

1. I can't include any Esri basemaps, vector or raster based, when creating an MMPK in Pro. I get invalid file type.

Pro 2.1 does not allow you to include Esri basemaps in the Mobile Map Package.  At Pro 2.2 there will be options for including Esri basemaps in a Mobile Package... some decisions will need to be made as to how much to include, and there will be a workflow for that.

2. I can export an MMPK with a TPK loaded into a Pro map, the MMPK file size is large enough that I know the TPK was included, but loading the MMPK on either Android or iOS results in not being able to see the TPK-based basemap. I thought that was a feature that was going to be released in the Explorer version released alongside Pro 2.1? Am I missing something?

We had intended to have a release of Explorer ready that supports raster layer in MMPK, to coincide with the Pro 2.1 release, but the work to support raster in Explorer did not come in on time.  We do have internal test builds, where raster layers are working,  and the next release of Explorer IOS will have it.   Android Beta releases should also be picking up raster layer support.

3. Creating an MMPK with just simple vector layers - roads, rivers, etc. - can be downloaded on the device, but then when trying to load an Esri basemap with a data connection, I get "basemap is incompatible with this map".

Service layers are not supported for inclusion in an MMPK.  I think this is what you are referring to?

Mark

deleted-user-lYoOm9MVXhGv
New Contributor

Is there any update on when we can expect an Explorer (iOS) release, beta or otherwise, that will be able to support offline rasters?  We have a number of maps that we would like to use offline with Explorer and raster support is a requirement.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

The next release of  Explorer for ArcGIS on IOS will support Tile Packages (.tpk)  It is being certified for release now.

0 Kudos