Pro 2.1 Create Scene Layer Package hangs or crashes

Jump to solution
02-16-2018 01:15 PM
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

When I run the Create Scene Layer Package tool in Pro 2.1 it consistently hangs or crashes.  The progress bar gets to 5% and that is it.  See screenshot.  Input Layer is a single LAS file with 9 million points.  One thing that concerns me is that even though the LAS file has a coordinate system (which I can see in ArcCatalog), the tool dialog shows no Input Coordinate System.  Any thoughts?

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay,

Yes please send me a personal message with that information. If you go to my profile you should see a message option. Let me know if you don't see it.

thanks!

-Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay,

The input coordinate system parameter is only used if the tool detects LAZ data that does not have any coordinate system. In this case, since you are using LAS that parameter will be blank. It's difficult to diagnose the problem without taking a deeper look at the data itself. Is this a LAS file that you can share?

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Andrew,

I can’t share the file yet, as this is pilot data under internal review. But I did download the 3D Sample Tools toolbox and ran Check_LAS, which returned this message:

ERROR: Point record format 6 of version 1.4 is not supported

Maybe I need to convert this to an earlier format?

I also have this info from the LAS_Reporter tool:

Information from LAS header
===========================

Version:           1.4
Point format:      6
Point record size: 30
Extra bytes:       0
Global encoding:   17
Number of VLRs:    1
Number of EVLRs:   0
Point records:     9106215

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay,

Glad you were able to find those tools as I was going to suggest that if you couldn't share the data.

I don't think that is the issue as point format 6 is supported with las file version 1.4. Are you using an older version of the 3d sample tools\ArcMap or did you just download it from http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=fe221371b77940749ff96e90f2de3d10 

Also, the LAS File Information Tool provides valuable information can you run that and post the results back here?

thanks!

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Andrew,

I just downloaded the 3D samples toolbox from the link above last week.

Can I send the LAS File Information report to you offline?

You say format 6 version 1.4 is supported, but when I run the CheckLAS tool I get the following:

"ERROR: Point record format 6 of version 1.4 is not supported"

I'm running Desktop v 10.5.1.  I was able to create a Scene Layer Package File (in Pro 2.1.1) with another lidar dataset that was in a lower version.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay,

Yes please send me a personal message with that information. If you go to my profile you should see a message option. Let me know if you don't see it.

thanks!

-Andrew

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

When I go to your profile, click the pencil to send a message, and add you to the To: -- I get "You can only send messages to your Friends / Connections (people following you)."  Yeesh.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

One final post to this old thread for the benefit of others who may run into similar issues -- here is the final email you sent me that identified the cause of the issue and the solution...

"Hi Jay, The projection team got back to us and it looks like the cause of the hang was the Vertical Coordinate System. It looks like not all parameters are specified in the LAS in the Vertical Coordinate System and that was causing the hang up as the tool was expecting all parameters to be specified. They mentioned direction being one of the parameters that was not present. Moving forward, the projection team is going to add additional logic to handle these cases. On your side, I don't know if you had a company collect this data but if you did just make sure they are writing all of the parameters of the horizontal and vertical coordinate system. I do want to let you know that ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2 (patch) will be released today. You should see the alert in Pro depending on IT security policies so keep an eye out for that. Before it is released though, you can workaround this issue by creating a projection file for the LAS. What I did was use the Create PRJ for LAS tool in the 3D Sample tools to create a prj file with UTM Zone 11N NAD 83. If the prj file is present in the folder with the LAS, the tool will read from the prj file. After I did that I was able to successfully create the scene layer package. Let me know if you have any additional questions!"

Thanks again for the assist.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS