AGOL Date Filters

02-14-2018 10:28 AM
City_ofJohns_Creek_GIS
New Contributor II

I wasn't sure of the details of some date filters. Can someone tell me how the "within the last month" filter actually filters out the data? If we have a map that has the filter "within the last 30 days," is that similar to applying "within the last month"? Or is there a difference as to how the filter is applied? (I don't know why, but I was not sure if it would choose values that are dated just within the previous month, or if it was using the range of time)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RickBoggs1
New Contributor III

Well, not all months are 30 days long. So, within the last month will select all records with a date from the previous month whereas last 30 days will select last 30 days of records no matter the month.

Also, that filter isn't dynamic so it from the date that you filtered the data.

0 Kudos
City_ofJohns_Creek_GIS
New Contributor II

Thank you for your response. Sorry I should have been more clear - I was using 30 days as a simple example (If it filters by days and uses a different number of days depending on the month it filters, or another case. However, I don't know how it is set up). I have filtered by days, but for the "in the last month" filter, it shows dates from both January and February. I just was wondering how it selects this

(Screenshot clip of filter and part of attribute table)

0 Kudos
RickBoggs1
New Contributor III

ah sorry about that, hmm looks like it's not behaving like how we both think it should work. 

I just tested it out and when you enter in within the last 30 days it automatically switches it to 1 month. It also returned a record dated 1/15/2018. So sounds like it there is no difference in how the filter is applied, which is unfortunate because that is exactly how it should work...

Seems like the best bet is to do a filter between the desired date/times. 

0 Kudos
RickBoggs1
New Contributor III

Another work around would be to use Standardized SQL functions in ArcGIS Online—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS and set up the definition expression through ArcGIS Online Assistant

0 Kudos