Raster data organization in geodatabase

Jump to solution
02-14-2018 06:58 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a large volume of imagery data (the same location and different years) in a geodatabase and I would like to organize the data such as by a location (e.g. LocationA: [1977, 1978, ... 2011]).  What is the best way to organize the raster dataset in geodatabase?  What I can think of is creating multiple geodatabases, but it isn't ideal.  I would very appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You asked about organization first... Mosaic dataset is for organization.

Raster calculator is now mentioned in the same context as '... large volume of imagery data....'

Not quite clear but 'raster calculator' and 'large volume' raise big bold flags in my experience.

Perhaps you should clearly outline what you want to do since these need to be addressed before memory and related issues come to the fore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

see the Imagery management section and Mosaic datasets to start

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick reply!!  I am confused about the Mosaic dataset.  I created the Mosaic dataset and added raster data.  The resulting data contains "Boundary", "Footprint" and "Image".  I want to use "Raster Calculator", but the tool identifies the Mosaic dataset as one so does it mean I can't use Mosaic dataset for geoprocessing?  If so, is there another way or idea to organize raster data like "Feature Dataset"?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You asked about organization first... Mosaic dataset is for organization.

Raster calculator is now mentioned in the same context as '... large volume of imagery data....'

Not quite clear but 'raster calculator' and 'large volume' raise big bold flags in my experience.

Perhaps you should clearly outline what you want to do since these need to be addressed before memory and related issues come to the fore.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My apologies for your confusion for my question and thank you for sharing the information and insights.  I think I keep the raster data in the folder instead of geodatabase.

I will!  Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos