Installation impossible

Jump to solution
02-14-2018 06:38 AM
JonasDanner
New Contributor II

Good day,

I just wanted to install ArcGIS 10.6 on my Laptop. I had the 10.5.1 Version on earlier but uninstalled it a few months ago. Now, trying to install 10.6 the Setup "detects" the 10.5.1 Version (so there have to be some leftovers after the uninstallation) and trys to replace it. So far no problem, but because of that I can't change the installation path. Which is no problem with the main program, but the installation path for python is on the D:/ Partition. But the D:/ doesn't exist anymore as I formatted and merged it with the C:/ a while ago. 

How can I change the installation path or how to find and delete the leftovers from the old installation?

Thank you for your help

Jonas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewDobson
Occasional Contributor

Jonas, this Microsoft tool should help remove any traces of your previous install. link

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a complete uninstall requires a bunch of steps... 

but things that are forgotten

1  remove any third party applications that are associated with arcmap etc

Then cruise the suggestions here

https://community.esri.com/message/702806-how-to-completely-uninstall-previous-arcgis-program

As for python on the D... get rid of it, you have to use the version that is supplied with arcmap.

If you need a separate python distribution, install ArcGIS PRO it will have python 3.6 in its own Anaconda distribution.  Use Anaconda (conda) to manage other python versions etc).  Things get messy if you try do use your own system.  ArcMap wants its own python 2.7.x and it will install it for you.  For python 3.6... use PRO's version or use Anaconda distributions for non-Arc* variants

MatthewBliss
Esri Contributor

Jonas, can you please send me an installation log from running the 10.6 setup? 

From a command line, run msiexec /i "<path to setup.msi>\setup.msi" /L*v "<path to log file>\setup.log" and then proceed through the GUI setup dialogs.  You can specify the log path and name as you like.

Also, can you please export and send the Esri reg hive at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Esri if your laptop is 64-bit; or export and send the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Esri hive if it's x86.

Thanks...

JonasDanner
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan Patterson, I checked the steps described at the other page you linked, but none of these existed anymore.

Matthew Bliss, thank you as well. The Folder at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Esri still existed, so I deleted it (sorry, I forgot I should send it to you, just remembered as I just deleted it). 

Now, as I'm starting the installation it says: "ArcGIS Version 0 detected", installs ArcGIS still in the preset/old Folder (wich shouldn't be any problem) and python is now set to be installed at C:\Python27. So there is no error about the not available hard drive partition anymore, the installation starts. But then it get's interrupted with "Error 1325. webchecker is not a valid short file name." and the installation gets cancelled. 

Does anyone has any idea?

About the installation log from running the 10.6 setup: do you know where the log file will be? cant find it, so I don't know the path to it and can't do it 

0 Kudos
MatthewBliss
Esri Contributor

Jonas, the log file isn't created by default.  To create one, you need to launch the Desktop setup from a command prompt using this: msiexec /i "<path to setup.msi>\setup.msi" /L*v "<path to log file>\setup.log"

Then go through the setup dialogs as usual, and once that's done, you'll find the log file you specified here in this part of the command: "<path to log file>\setup.log".  You can use whatever "<path to log file>" you like.

When you uninstall, it's important to not manually delete files, folders, reg keys, etc.  This can make for a difficult cleanup before you can reinstall the product.

0 Kudos
JonasDanner
New Contributor II

Ahh ok, sorry, now I got it. But how do I send it? I can't attach it here

I did uninstall the old version with the setup, only this registry-entry you mentioned I deleted manually...

0 Kudos
MatthewDobson
Occasional Contributor

Jonas, this Microsoft tool should help remove any traces of your previous install. link

JonasDanner
New Contributor II

Thank you very much! It did the trick, no older installation detected and installed without any problem! 

0 Kudos