Uninstalling Full Motion Video FMV hangs.

Jump to solution
02-13-2018 10:44 AM
Labels (1)
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm having issues with my machine (in particular arcpy in external IDE) which seems to have started with the latest ArcPro and WingPro updates.  I'm trying to uninstall all things Pro and Desktop 10.3.x, but my uninstall of the FMV from the Control Panel - Add/Remove programs seems to hang.

I tried this last night and after an hour I tried the cancel, and after an extended period of time, finally just kill the uninstall.

It there another way I can cleanly uninstall this product (i.e. deleted directories x and y.... registry edits, etc)?  This machine has had several issues in the past month, but rebuilding is not a real option at this time.

btw - I have already looked at the instructions https://community.esri.com/message/646023-re-full-motion-video-add-in-video-multiplexer-access?comme...     and the only things I have not tried is reinstally FMV before uninstalling.  I might kill the uninstall and give that a try next.

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Mark Barker  and  CBenkelman-esristaff . 

So, I figured out what was the cause of all my issues with ArcGIS, my access to my license manager, the inability to uninstall FMV, all my GIS software freezing, etc.  It seems that I needed to uninstall the Flexara (for the license manager  Esri Support    ) that was considered a "must have" patch last Fall.  I'm still tryingt o find out if it is a must have still, or not (before I reinstall it).

We (tech support and I) had tried all kinds of things trying to figure out the issue.  Besides uninstalling the two patched (x86 and x64), we also deleted the ARCGIS_..  files in the c:\ProgramData\FLEXnet folder...and rebooted.  Although I think it was more the patch being the issue not the FLEXnet folder (hard to know for sure).

After that, I was able to reinstall the FMV (with setup.exe and "repair") and then go to my Control Panel->Add/Remove and uninstall FMV.

Bottom line, because of the Flexara patch, my access to the concurrent license manager got hosed, and that was blocking FMV from repair/install/uninstall.     ...that is also why my Wing Pro was not able to "import arcpy"

just fyi, this patch might not affect everyone.  This machine had several things going on and was progressively getting worse over the past few weeks.  I do not know the complete timeline of things getting hosed, but in case this helps others same some pain...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MarkBarker1
Esri Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

Did you uninstall the Full Motion Video Geoprocessing tools before uninstalling ArcMap? This would be a separate installation and listed as such in the programs and features or apps section of the control panel. 

If the FMV geoprocessing tools were not uninstalled before uninstalling ArcMap then you will need to re-install ArcMap in order to do so. See section 3.5 of the following: Full Motion Video 1.3.2 User Manual.pdf - Box 

If you have any trouble in doing this or the issue becomes more complex then feel free to submit a support case with us: https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support 

Thanks,

Mark

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

yes I had tried uninstalling it before messing with ArcGIS 10.3.x. that was what was hanging. I tried repairing ArcGIS and reinstalling FMV, but neither worked.

I've now trying uninstalling ArcGIS 10.3.1, named references to 10.3.1 in the AppData local and roaming, and the references to both the fmv and ArcGIS 10.3.1 in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.  Of course, the uninstall really doesn't work now.  So I am try to install both again and see if I can uninstall.  This is what is showing in my add/delete right now

(and yes, ArcInfo Workstation still works on my win7 machines)

Since I'm not really using fmv (and only installed it to help another user get started), I really just need to remove it at this point.

So, looks like y best shot is trying to reinstall 10.3.1 again (clean), then install the FMV...then uninstalling FMV again.  if that doesn't work, I will talk with tech support again as suggested.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.  Thanks for the link to the doc too.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Rebecca

Sorry for the challenges.  We have long known that FMV install/uninstall was problematic, and have tried to eliminate the conflicts, but the add-in architecture in ArcMap had limitations.  We are looking forward to FMV built into Pro mid 2018 - but for now I trust Mark & team in tech support will help you get this resolved.

Cody B. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Mark Barker  and  CBenkelman-esristaff . 

So, I figured out what was the cause of all my issues with ArcGIS, my access to my license manager, the inability to uninstall FMV, all my GIS software freezing, etc.  It seems that I needed to uninstall the Flexara (for the license manager  Esri Support    ) that was considered a "must have" patch last Fall.  I'm still tryingt o find out if it is a must have still, or not (before I reinstall it).

We (tech support and I) had tried all kinds of things trying to figure out the issue.  Besides uninstalling the two patched (x86 and x64), we also deleted the ARCGIS_..  files in the c:\ProgramData\FLEXnet folder...and rebooted.  Although I think it was more the patch being the issue not the FLEXnet folder (hard to know for sure).

After that, I was able to reinstall the FMV (with setup.exe and "repair") and then go to my Control Panel->Add/Remove and uninstall FMV.

Bottom line, because of the Flexara patch, my access to the concurrent license manager got hosed, and that was blocking FMV from repair/install/uninstall.     ...that is also why my Wing Pro was not able to "import arcpy"

just fyi, this patch might not affect everyone.  This machine had several things going on and was progressively getting worse over the past few weeks.  I do not know the complete timeline of things getting hosed, but in case this helps others same some pain...

MarkBarker1
Esri Contributor

Rebecca,

That's great to hear! Thanks for the additional info on the resolution. 

0 Kudos