Is there a way to add the Index Grid on the Layout like in Desktop?

Jump to solution
02-13-2018 06:27 AM
SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

We have been switching a lot of our projects over to Pro and it has been fairly successful.  I'm trying to convert a map book we currently have in desktop 5.1.  We have an index grid that is no problem to create, and in desktop you can go to "Data Frame Properties" and then "Grids" and you could set up an "Index Grid" with the Grids and Graticules Wizard that would put graphics around your data frame in layout view.  (See Screenshot attachments)  My question is, is there a way to do this in Pro? I see the "Grid" option on the Map Frames tab, but it only lets you add graticules, measured grids, and MGRS.  I can't seem to find anything in the online help. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This is in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 to be released January 24, 2019.

See What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 - YouTube at 6:58

You might also find https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas/blog/2019/01/17/ideas-in-arcgis-pro-23 helpful.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I think that this option has not been implemented yet. I see the same options in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1 that you see .

I'm going to CC Kory Kramer‌ who probably can tell us more. 

0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

This option has not been added yet into ArcGIS Pro.  It is in our backlog of features to add.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Sean Summers‌ Look for this functionality in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 coming in early 2019.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This is in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 to be released January 24, 2019.

See What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 - YouTube at 6:58

You might also find https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas/blog/2019/01/17/ideas-in-arcgis-pro-23 helpful.

JacobMcCoy1
New Contributor II

I'm using AcrPro 2.5.0 and still having this issue. 5/1/2020

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jacob, 

The ArcMap "index" grid that Sean referenced at the start of this thread is available in ArcGIS Pro as a "reference" grid - Reference grids—Layouts | Documentation.

Could you be more specific on the issue you are having?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
JacobMcCoy1
New Contributor II

I only have three options to choose from. None of them are "reference grid"

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

HI Jacob, 

Is the map frame that you want to add the grid to a rectangle?  If there are any angles that are not 90 degrees you will not be able to add a reference grid since the grid cannot divide a map into equal-area squares under those conditions. 

If the map frame is indeed  a rectangle, then I'm not sure what could be going on. Try creating a brand new project with a brand new map. Insert this map into a new layout. Select the map frame and insert a grid. Do you see Reference Grid as an option? If not, then I would recommend contacting technical support. They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Hope this helps,

Tom

0 Kudos