How do I set the maximum borrow limit for ArcGIS Administrator?

02-13-2018 10:08 AM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

I'm serving ArcGIS Desktop concurrent licenses from ArcGIS Administrator 10.3.1.  The maximum borrow limit is set to the default 30 days.  It seems to me that I once extended that time for one of our installations.  A notice in Administrator says to "Contact your License Administrator to modify this value."  Administrator Help unhelpfully says "Contact your organization's license administrator to change this value."  I tried contacting our license administrator, but that didn't help, because he/she is I. I searched Support, but only found explanations that the maximum time is 65536 days, and warnings that it is best to keep burrowing times short because if a machine crashes or is stolen, the license will be unavailable until the expiration time.  I was only thinking about extending the borrow time to 60 days. 

It seems like the answer might be in the Options file ACTIVATION_EXPIRY_DAYS parameter http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/get-started/license-manager-guide/activation-expiry-days.ht...  but for the final paragraph of this usage description: "The ArcGIS Administrator is designed to accept the maximum borrow days specified in the License Server Administrator (default 30 days). The user must adjust the ArcGIS Administrator borrow request for a given feature to that specified in the Options file. "

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Note that ArcGIS Administrator is different from ArcGIS License Server Administrator (also known as License Manager).

You can increase the Borrow time using ArcGIS License Server Administrator (Configure).

License Server Administrator can be found in the machine where all the ArcGIS Desktop Concurrent-Use licenses have been authorized.

Think Location
0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul,

For clarification, there are two separate components concerning the concurrent licensing option, the license manager and ArcGIS Desktop.  The license manager host all your concurrent licenses and managed through the ArcGIS License Server Administrator.  It may reside on the same machine or on a separate machine. 

Then there's the client side application, ArcGIS Desktop.  ArcGIS Desktop comes with ArcGIS Administrator which is used to point to the license manager for the licenses.  The look and name is very similar. 

For your situation, launch the ArcGIS Administrator.  Click on the Desktop folder.  For Software Product, you likely chose one of the concurrent license option.  Below is the section for License Manager.  That is the machine were the license manager reside.  Go to that machine and launch the ArcGIS License Server Administrator (Start>All Programs>ArcGIS>License Manager>License Server Administator).  In the ArcGIS License Server Administrator, click on the Configure folder.  There should be an option to turn borrowing off and on.  There's also an option to set the Max Borrow Time.  Set your preferred time and click apply.  Afterward, go back to the client machine and start the ArcGIS Administrator.  The borrow time should reflect the new time frame. 

PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

Oh yes, not ArcGIS Administrator, ArcGIS License Server Administrator!.  It took me awhile to fing this in the Windows Server 2012R2 interface.  Dropbox - ArcLicense.jpg 

0 Kudos