Georeferenced rasters not importing correctly into mosiac dataset - pieces missing

02-11-2018 05:06 PM
MalcolmGollan1
New Contributor

When importing raster datasets into a mosaic dataset parts of the images are cut out (see attached picture). We run the same process on all our aerial imagery and have not had this particular issue before. I've tried importing the imagery from different drive locations (including C-drive), rebuilding the pyramid files, completing the process on ArcMap 10.4 and 10.5, and still no luck. I've not been able to find any similar issues on any blogs so any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuriPotawsky
Esri Contributor

Hi Malcolm,

Based upon the image, it appears that this is the manner in which the overlap is being handled within the Mosaic Dataset. Are you aware if you have a Mosaic Operator set and if so which? Would you also be able to perform a selection on the western-most image and while that selection is active, send along a screenshot of the footprint attribute table? It might also be helpful if you sent a screenshot of that standalone Raster Dataset in ArcMap irrespective of the MD.

Yuri

0 Kudos
MalcolmGollan1
New Contributor

Hi Yuri,

thanks for your thoughts. We do not use the Mosaic Operator Set. When we bring in the images we add the raster dataset to the mosaic dataset excluding the 255 white pixel to try and exclude the margins of the images then we build the footprints and edit them. We use the edited footprints to control which part of what image is displayed.

I've attached the images as requested and included a screen shot of the original georeferenced images which also shows the ends of some of the images been cut off (see middle image).

Original georeferenced images displayed with generated footprints from the mosaic dataset for the same images once they were imported into the MD (below). 

0 Kudos
YuriPotawsky
Esri Contributor

Hi Malcolm,

Sorry for the delayed response. I believe what you are running into is an issue with differing Max pixel size values being generated when the rasters are added to the Mosaic Dataset. Based upon the screenshots you sent along, the MaxPS value determines which rasters will render and at what scales which is calculated on a formula based upon the cell size/pyramids of the source rasters. I have included a documentation link below that explains this in detail. My suggestion at this point would be to create a Mosaic Dataset from the images detailed above to serve as a test environment. Once you have this created you can do the following:

1. Begin an edit session and select the MaxPS column in the Footprint attribute table.

2. Perform a field calculation on this field to set all values to the same number. 50 is a good starting point. This should "level the playing field" and all rasters should display at similar scales.

3. You could then make use of the Mosaic Operator functionality to handle these overlapping areas. The MD properties link below explains how those are accessed and used.

Cell size ranges in a mosaic dataset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Mosaic dataset properties—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Mosaic dataset properties—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I hope this information helps. It will take some time to get the rendering behavior optimized and in a usable format.

Thanks,

Yuri