How efficient is using a SSD and HHD simultaneously in GIS functions?

02-10-2018 05:57 PM
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I am in the process of planning a computer build for an upcoming MS project involving some image processing and basic modeling, as well as just having a decent personal computer. Because of price, I'm looking at running my OS and ArcPro/ArcGIS 10.5 off of a SSD of about 250 GB and getting a separate HHD for some personal files and GIS data.

Does anyone have any experience combining the two and does it improve the performance enough to justify getting a SSD? Or should I fork up a bit more money and just get a bigger SSD?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Surface Book 250 Gb (portable), and a custom built desktop with 2 SSD (500 Gb(?) which I use for my software installations and a convention large capacity drive for storage. 

Quiet... worth the money. 

If you want to waste your time running speed checks, or reading about them you will find opinions on both sides.  

They are worth it in my humble opinion... (did I mention how quiet they are ... )

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Dan, SSDs are a game changer and worth the money.  In your case, it sort of depends on how big your GIS files will be on the second drive.  If you are working with more than 1 TB of data, the SSD prices get steep so a HDD might be the only practical choice.  If you are working with 1 TB of less, I would consider one large SSD. 

0 Kudos