Macro Economics and Investment Research

02-07-2018 10:15 AM
Labels (1)
AlexanderWernher
New Contributor

Hi, my Alex Wernher and I'm very interested in using GIS to research investments in the financial markets.  I'm exploring different ways to map and analyze macro economic data and financial indicators to see what trends might be occurring around the globe.  Is there anyone else applying GIS to study the financial markets?  If so, I'd love to start a discussion, share ideas, and look for ways to help each other make better investments.

1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AlexanderWernher , 

the best way to start is to locate some data, you can locate data related to the clientele and geolocation. If your organisation has a system that you can export a CSV file with client data and an x, y coordinates or the address ( you can use a Geocoding processing tool to convert those). 

So you can create a simple map to understand the location and demographics of the companies or investors. You can add data to greater layers of data to give you more details to allow for data analysis. 
There are also tools like Business analyst retention or ArcGIS insites.

Have you any experience with GIS  or products yet, I can help you with some ideas?

The best thing to start with is to understand the data you have already, by understanding what you have you can start with analysis, and eventually, you will understand what type of data you would like to use to enrich your analysis process. 

In my experience in the banking industry, GIS was used for the internal business process of the company. this included were to add a branch and ATM's. with that, they used the ATM locations to understand the best routes to use in order to fill the ATMs during the day. GIS was used in projects for Branch renovations. Also maps for clients and understanding the demographics for marketing. 

It all starts with the data!

let me know if you have any questions