Point to Nearest Polygon

02-07-2018 06:22 AM
MatthewNickeson
New Contributor II

I have a map with a layer of point locations throughout the US and a layer of polygon sectors. All of the US is contained within a sector. I am trying to find the closest polygon to each location by driving distance and driving time. I haven't been able to find the functionality that will allow this analysis since each location is contained within a polygon. Does anyone have any insights whether this is possible and if it is how it could be done?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try Near—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ?

Think Location
MatthewNickeson
New Contributor II

Thanks Jayanta, see my reply to Dan Patterson below for why this solution doesn't work in my instance.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To get road drive times and distance you would require the network analyst extension.

How detailed of a solution do you need?  As Jayanta suggests, the Near tool or Near as Table (if you have the license otherwise http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=f96ede37dcd04c2e96dc903a4ce26244) using polygon centroids would probably suffice for a continental scale study ... at least in the first instance.

Perhaps some elaboration on what you are trying to achieve in the end would help with further suggestions

MatthewNickeson
New Contributor II

I have arcGIS Pro Advanced with spatial analysis. Near will not work because I need drive distance and drive time. Unfortunately centroids will not work as the precision required is at least a mile. The main problem I have is finding the driving distance/time to the nearest polygon. If the points were not already contained in a polygon a Spatial Join set to closest and driving distance would be perfect. There are about 3,500 points and 450 polygons so removing the resident polygon is not a practical option. I would share the file or more specifics but the material is sensitive. I am reasonably new to GIS so please let me know if I can provider a better explanation. Thank you for the replies. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

But you don't have the Network Analyst which is the major issue since you require driving distance.

0 Kudos
MatthewNickeson
New Contributor II

I do have network analysis but I don't see a way to utilize it because of the issues as stated above.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I just picture the destinations being an intersection between the polygon(s) and the lines (roads) rather than the location within the polygon.  Have you considered just producing an intersection as described or are you concerned that each intersection point might be associated with two polygons?

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Would closest facility work for you? Make Closest Facility Analysis Layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

... and a tutorial can be found here: Tutorial: Closest facility—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
MatthewNickeson
New Contributor II

I guess that I'm not really sure how to go about creating that in the current model. I can deal with multiple returns outside of arcGIS as long as it has driving distance.

0 Kudos