how to add up all the fields in an attribute table

Jump to solution
02-07-2018 04:36 AM
BryonyGale
New Contributor

Hi, I'm an undergraduate student doing a dissertation which is very GIS heavy. One of the things I need to do is add up all of the area values in my attribute table to get the total area for a polygon feature class. Is there a quick/easy way for me to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bryony,

Yes, you can simply right-click on the field > Statistics.  You can also execute the Summary Statistics tool to get an output table.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Bryony,

Yes, you can simply right-click on the field > Statistics.  You can also execute the Summary Statistics tool to get an output table.

XanderBakker

You mention in the title "all the fields". Do you want to sum multiple fields for all the records or are you looking to sum all records for which Jake provided the solution?

edit:

To visualize what I mean:

Jake provided a solution for summing the values in the "blue" rectangle. In case you want to sum all fields ("red" rectangle) or you want to sum all values in the table ("green" rectangle) the process will be different.

0 Kudos
BryonyGale
New Contributor

I wanted to add up all the areas for the polygons I drew in one feature class. Add together all the fields. Jake's answer was very helpful.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

That's right, in that case Jake's method is the way to go. Can you mark his answer as the correct answer?

0 Kudos