Portal 10.6 Dashboard - sharing direct URL to dashboard with level 1 users fails

02-05-2018 12:23 PM
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor III

1st day with Enterprise (Portal) 10.6, and the new Ops Dashboard is really nice. 

One issue that I had hoped would be resolved is apparently still happening for us.  

Basically we have a whole bunch of level 1 users, who have no need, desire, or skills, to do anything in Portal.  So, the idea is that they just have the URL to the dashboard, sign in (we use active directory) and boom, they have their dashboard with essentially no learning curve, or new interfaces to navigate.  

However, when a level 1 user goes to the Dahsboard URL, sign-in fails, and they are taken to our Portal homepage.  

I'm really hopeful this is something that can be addresses through a security setting in Portaladmin, or on the server (IIS).  This is a deal-breaker for our particular user-base.

A little history -

using the old version Ops Dashboard, with Portal/Enterprise 10.5, this functionality was fine.  When we upgraded to Enterprise 10.5.1, we noticed that the direct URL to the Dashboard failed to load, just spun indefinitely.  This was a bug that was logged, with the workaround being that if you made the users Level 2, AND made them an administrator, it would open for them.  We balked at implementing this, and waited for 10.6, but after re-building the dashboard in the new environment this morning, the behavior is still happening.  They can get to the dashboard by logging into Portal, finding the group this is shared with, and opening it there.  So it is accessible to them permissions-wise.  Also, a direct link to the WebMap being used by the dashboard works as desired (go to webmap URL, sign in, and you're good).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TifPun
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Allen,

What you’re seeing is similar to an issue we reported to the Enterprise Team, where users are not able to open their dashboards using a direct URL without first signing in to the Portal. The Enterprise Team is aware of the issue, but for now the workaround will be to sign in to the Portal first, then open a dashboard. A slightly faster way for users to get to their shared dashboards can be, send these users the group URL, then after they sign in to see the group content, they can open the shared dashboards.

Thanks,

Tif

DanteLee

Hey Derek Law‌ - is this on your radar by chance and do you have any updates?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dante,

No, I was not aware of this issue - and I was not able to find a bug about this.

Is this happening to you? Can you please provide more info, like what release of Portal for ArcGIS you're using? And what kind of security configuration you've enabled for it?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
DanteLee

We're on 10.6, and we've only experienced it with Dashboard items. They will load fine if our users log in to Portal first, and then click on the Dashboard link. It will also work if we embed them into a Story Map (users are prompted for login credentials if they aren't logged in, and everything loads fine after that). The items are shared at an Organization level.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dante,

Can you please contact Esri Tech Support and open an issue and provide detailed repro steps? As I said, I was not able to find a bug about this.

FYI, Tif Pun is no longer with esri - so I can't follow up with her on this item.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanteLee

As a follow up, I contacted Esri Support, and they were able to dig up the bug associated with this (https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEwOTQxNA==). Luckily it's not present in 10.6.1 and 10.7, so I'll just have to wait til we upgrade! Thanks