AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcGIS: Maintaining Data Integrity With Access and Other External Sources

Question asked by danrmwalters on Feb 2, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2018 by TMorgan-esristaff

I sometimes need to deal with large and complex Access databases and other external sources (excel spreadsheets and the like) that contain data I need to cross reference with feature classes and shapefiles I have in ArcGIS. Ideally, I would like to be able to operate with data in ArcGIS the way I can in Access (querying between datasets, updating referenced information in one location rather then several, etc.) I know geodatabases with in advanced license allow for that sort of functionality within the geodatabase, and the description for the data interoperability extension says you can import directly from sources like Access.

My question is, however, is there a particular extension or set of tools that allows you to essentially link information (using table relationships or other methodology) between a geodatabase and an Access database (or other external information source) so that a change made to the data in ArcGIS will be reflected in Access, and vice versa. Right now I end up juggling a bunch of customized python codes and other methods that are cumbersome and time consuming to update, so I’m keen to know if a clean tool for this kind of work already exists. Thanks!

Outcomes