overlay route events in arcGIS Pro

02-02-2018 01:46 AM
MáireDolan
New Contributor III

I am attempting to use the ‘overlay route events’ tool in Linear Referencing.

I want to use a point event table as the input and a line event table as the overlay.

However when I select ‘line’ as event type for the overlay properties ALL other ‘event type’ changes to line. It appears that I cannot do a point-on-line overlay??

Is this a problem with Pro? Or what am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated...

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Overlay routes... according to the help it is possible, try a different option or order just to make sure the tool is basically working

0 Kudos
MáireDolan
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

I have tried it with point-on-point and it appears to work, but when I try to point-on-line it does not allow me to enter different event types for input & overlay

DaveMcPherson
New Contributor III

I have exactly the same problem. The tool works fine in Desktop 10.5.1, accepting a linear input layer and point overlay layer, but in Pro 2.1, whenever you change/set one event type, they both change. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

KKramer-esristaff‌ sorry to keep flagging you, but this one seems to be one that might go unnoticed given useage may be limited.

0 Kudos
DaveMcPherson
New Contributor III

Sad but most probably true...as one of the most ardent exponents of linear referencing from Workstation and AV3/Avenue days, I am deeply concerned at the apparent lack of support by ESRI for one of their finest analytical toolsets for linear infrastructure across most of the new platforms - from AGOL feature services to ArcGIS Pro. Bugs are even creeping into long-established Desktop LR tools...

haulem

0 Kudos
MáireDolan
New Contributor III

Yes!, I have since reverted to ArcMap 10.6 and the overlay tool works fine here! It's definitely an issue with ArcGIS Pro. Also I have had to raise 'enhancement requests' regarding route editing toolbars and other route functionality that is available in ArcMap but unavailable in Pro!

I was liking Pro and getting used to using it but have now to revert fully to ArcMap!!

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

I have logged a case with Esri Support - will keep this thread posted of developments

JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hello - update for you

I have an Esri Bug number

BUG-000112153: Using the ‘Overlay Route Event’ tool in ArcGIS Pro and unable to use the point table as the overlay table when the Line event is taken as the input. Selecting the point table as overlay layer, the line event input layer toggles to the point.

Cheers

John P

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thank you, John!

0 Kudos