Assuming I am understanding your workflow correctly, there are several points at which you could filter your data for a smaller subset.
First I'd like to confirm I understand your workflow. Let me know if any of this is incorrect?
- You started with data in ArcGIS for Desktop
- You published your content from ArcGIS for Desktop to Portal for ArcGIS
- You then used Portal for ArcGIS to create a web map
- You then created a Web AppBuilder Application from the web map in Portal for ArcGIS
Assuming these steps are correct, you have the following options:
Create a new feature class before publishing
- You can create a subset of data by first applying a Definition Query in ArcMap, and then exporting the data from the feature layer into a new feature class. You can then publish the data.
See: Displaying a subset of features in a layer
Publish with a Definition Query
- You can publish to Portal for ArcGIS with a Definition Query - the definition query should be honored in selecting what data is uploaded to Portal for ArcGIS
Create a view with a filter applied
- You can create a new view of a feature service which essentially becomes a subset of the data. This can be done from the Item Details page in Portal for ArcGIS under Visualization.
- Note that views are a relatively new functionality so depending on what version of Portal for ArcGIS you're using, this may not be an option yet.
See: Create hosted feature layer views
Filter the data in a web map
- You can apply a filter to the data in a web map to hide some of the data.
See: Apply filters
Apply a filter in the application
- You can use widgets to apply a filter to your data. For example, you can use the Filter widget or Group Filter widget in the Web AppBuilder application.
See: Filter widget and Group filter widget
Apply a filter prior to analysis or export
- You could use the Query widget to select only a subset of the data in a Web AppBuilder application prior to using any analysis or exporting the content.
See: Query widget
Ultimately, it depends on whether you want all the data to be hosted in ArcGIS Online, whether you want an adjustable filter for your users to hide or unhide content, or if you want a filter only for exporting certain data from a Web AppBuilder application.
Hopefully that answers your question!
thanks Rachel. very helpful to have all of the options laid out. i ended up using Filter the data in a web map.
Retrieving data ...